What happens if my Charlie bred with my tri tortie mini rex

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkelly11422

Reaction score
So my daughters show their rabbits Tri color mini rex Tortie Doe and a broken castor mini Rex that I think it’s a charlie. He got her through the wire and she is pregnant. Is that okay? I have now put a runner so it can’t happen again. I’m just wondering what the babies will look like. I will attach pics of them.

Can someone tell me if he is in fact a Charlie or not as well? We are pretty new to this. He got best of Opposite at the fair and she got best of Variety. She was also in the running for reserve grand But missed it by a point. I just want to know where to go from here. We weren’t planning on breeding at all.

Thanks image.jpg4DBA3BC5-CC5B-4921-994D-59D15CD12547.jpeg

I don't think that guy is a charlie. I recall something about a charlie very rarely or not at all able to have a butterfly on the face? He also has enough color on him to not be a charlie...

I don't think that guy is a charlie. I recall something about a charlie very rarely or not at all able to have a butterfly on the face? He also has enough color on him to not be a charlie...
Thank you. I didn’t think they would’ve allowed her to show him at the fair if he was. Nor did I think he would’ve won Best of opposite breed if he was. Now just to see what colors the kits are

Is there a difference between a Charlie and a False Charlie?
Charlies and False charlies look the same but False charlies are genetically broken (so they can throw selfs)

Here is what I have learned about charlies (if it is incorrect, I'd love to know, so share away anyone!). This does not include the Japanese/harlequin gene for simplicity.

A broken is Enen (broken gene [En] + solid gene [en]). It can produce brokens (Enen) and solids (enen), plus charlies (EnEn) when bred to another broken.

A charlie is EnEn (broken gene [En] + broken gene [En]). Basically a charlie is doubled up on the broken gene, since he got one from each parent. Because of that, it can only give a broken gene to it's offspring. It is incapable of producing any solids, since it does not have the solid gene (en).

If you breed a rabbit that looks like a charlie to a solid or a broken and you get any solid kits, you know that the rabbit is actually a 'false charlie'. This is because a false charlie is actually a broken (Enen), who just ended up with too little color on its body.

If you breed a solid (enen) with a broken (Enen), you cannot get charlies (EnEn), since only one parent in that pairing can give a broken gene.

If you breed a broken (Enen) with a broken (Enen), you can get a broken gene from each parent, thus making it possible to get charlies (EnEn).

If you breed a charlie (EnEn) with a solid (enen) you will get all brokens (Enen) in the litter, since the charlie can only give the broken gene to its offspring. This is supposed to be useful in a herd if you are needing to increase the number of brokens produced.

If you know what pattern your rabbit came from, you can have an idea or know for certain if your rabbit is a broken, false charlie, or charlie. If you breed a broken (Enen) to a solid (enen), you know that none of the offspring is a charlie (EnEn). (The only exception to that being if your broken rabbit in that pairing was actually a charlie.) But, if you breed a broken to a broken, you cannot know if any of the offspring is a charlie (EnEn) or a broken/false charlie (Enen) until you test breed them to see what they produce.

P.S. I would love to know if anyone is aware of evidence about charlies having gastric issues. Articles, papers, personal experience, etc.

This website has some pictures and charts:
https://www.minkhollow.ca/rabbits/doku.php?id=coat_colors_misc

Here is what I have learned about charlies (if it is incorrect, I'd love to know, so share away anyone!). This does not include the Japanese/harlequin gene for simplicity.

A broken is Enen (broken gene [En] + solid gene [en]). It can produce brokens (Enen) and solids (enen), plus charlies (EnEn) when bred to another broken.

A charlie is EnEn (broken gene [En] + broken gene [En]). Basically a charlie is doubled up on the broken gene, since he got one from each parent. Because of that, it can only give a broken gene to it's offspring. It is incapable of producing any solids, since it does not have the solid gene (en).

If you breed a rabbit that looks like a charlie to a solid or a broken and you get any solid kits, you know that the rabbit is actually a 'false charlie'. This is because a false charlie is actually a broken (Enen), who just ended up with too little color on its body.

If you breed a solid (enen) with a broken (Enen), you cannot get charlies (EnEn), since only one parent in that pairing can give a broken gene.

If you breed a broken (Enen) with a broken (Enen), you can get a broken gene from each parent, thus making it possible to get charlies (EnEn).

If you breed a charlie (EnEn) with a solid (enen) you will get all brokens (Enen) in the litter, since the charlie can only give the broken gene to its offspring. This is supposed to be useful in a herd if you are needing to increase the number of brokens produced.

If you know what pattern your rabbit came from, you can have an idea or know for certain if your rabbit is a broken, false charlie, or charlie. If you breed a broken (Enen) to a solid (enen), you know that none of the offspring is a charlie (EnEn). (The only exception to that being if your broken rabbit in that pairing was actually a charlie.) But, if you breed a broken to a broken, you cannot know if any of the offspring is a charlie (EnEn) or a broken/false charlie (Enen) until you test breed them to see what they produce.

P.S. I would love to know if anyone is aware of evidence about charlies having gastric issues. Articles, papers, personal experience, etc.

This website has some pictures and charts:
https://www.minkhollow.ca/rabbits/doku.php?id=coat_colors_misc
That's VERY helpful, thanks 😁

Back