What do you do with the offal?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog92

Reaction score
For those of you who live in a semi-semi-rural area, how do you dispose of the butchering remains? I will be butchering the first litter in a couple weeks and am trying to figure out what to do with the remains. I live on a half acre with neighbors on both sides. I'm sure I'd have an issue if I baged it and put it in the garbage, so that's out. What do you folks do?

My dogs and cats take care of the majority of the waste. The compost bin takes care of the rest.

But I assume that if the garbage is not a possibility then you probably don't want to compost them either.

Are you allowed to have outdoor fires in your area? If so. just toss them in the burn barrel and be done with it.

By offal are you talking about the organs or the other remains? Offal, the liver, kidney, brain, etc can be turned into many interesting foods. Head cheese is just one option.

As for the inedibles...

Pelts can be tanned. If you don't want to do it, lay a sheet of wax paper on the flesh side and roll it up. put it in a plastic bag and freeze it. There are bush craft and survival groups that will be happy to take it off your hands.

Bones can be left out for insects to clean off. Don't put them straight into the compost since they will take a super long time to break down. Do this with your chicken, pork, and beef bones from the kitchen as well. When winter comes round burn the lot in the fireplace/stove. Add that calcium rich ash to your compost. Having broken the bone down by fire the micronutrient becomes available for your garden.

Ears make good dog treats, I understand. And feet are traditionally used for charms, if you lay any stock in that idea.

Can you make rabbit bone broth? You can make chicken bone broth I would think you could use rabbit bones too. Bone broth is amazingly nutritious. Can you eat rabbit liver? We like liver but I don't believe I've ever eaten rabbit liver.

We are just starting out on this adventure so thanks for any help and suggestions!

Liz

You can eat rabbit liver and you can also eat chicken liver (you can eat them raw but I don’t think that you are going to do that) you can also eat the hearts of a rabbit and chicken.

Can you make rabbit bone broth? You can make chicken bone broth I would think you could use rabbit bones too. Bone broth is amazingly nutritious. Can you eat rabbit liver? We like liver but I don't believe I've ever eaten rabbit liver.
Of course you can make bone broth. Bone broth is chiefly the marrow being cooked out, along with some minerals. Add a little ACV to the pot to get more minerals out. Then, as I mentioned earlier, burn the bones and add the ash to compost/garden.

Side note: Since I was cooking at my Mom and Dad's sidse, and throughout a professional kitchen career, I have been making stock. No good stock is made without bones. I don't know where the "bone broth" fad came from.

We are just starting out on this adventure so thanks for any help and suggestions!

Liz
Rabbit liver is literally the best liver I have ever had.

I second the "bone broth" confusion @Zee-Man . It is just the way everyone makes stock, right? And they charge an incredible amount for what we thought of as almost a form of recycling leftovers?

I agree with the bone broth discussion however I cook my bone broth a lot longer than I cook stock or broth for soups. I want to get as much collagen out of the bones into my bone broth as possible.

Liz

Latest posts

Back