What day should they start making the nest again?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinnessguy

Reaction score
HI

My first post, and likely a complete newb question: What day should they start making the nest again?

I'll give you the history, so that it explains why I ask:

I purchases a pair of does (sisters) on Oct 4th. They are NZW. At the time of purchase, I was told they were 7 months old. I also bought a Palomino Buck, same day, and was told he was 8 months old. Apparently, they were left together while I drove over to the breeder to pick them up. The breeder told me that the does were likely pregnant. Today is day 35, and enither have started to make a nest. I tried sticking the does back in with the buck on Oct 15-16th, and they both refused to be mounted. No aggression, but the tail was firmly against the age floor.

I also picked up a female lionhead on Oct 13th, and she accepted mating with the same buck on Oct 14th. Today is day 25, and she's not showing any signs of nesting. Is it too early? Am I just getting bunny fever?

Welcome to RabbitTalk, Guinnessguy! :hi:

The two does at Day 35 are probably not pregnant. Most does kindle around Day 30 or 31, although it is not unknown for rabbits to kindle even at Day 36.

Chances are they refused the buck on the day you picked them up. They are young yet and sometimes they are just not ready to breed and so refuse. You could try them again in a few days, once you are sure they are not going to kindle.

As for the lionhead doe, it is a tad early for nesting behaviour... although some does do want to get started early. Most people put the nest box in on Day 28.

Hello and welcome guinnessguy,
I concur with what Maggie3 has posted and will add this:
Before you bring the Doe to the Buck for breeding you should
check the genital area. It should be slightly swollen
and bright red to purple in color. If it is pale white and shriveled
she will not breed. You should also check the Buck to make sure
he has a complete tool box. I would wait till they are eight months old
or have reached senior weight before breeding them.
Ottersatin.

So I put the nest box in with my lionhead doe this evening. Today is day 28. I'm really hoping that she is pregnant.

Suppose that this 3rd doe is not pregnant. Could it be that my buck is still not of sexual maturity? (I can confirm that he's got the twig and berries)

Latest posts

Back