What colours to expect?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peggysue

Reaction score
I am new here and it's lovely to find somewhere where breeding isn't the worst thing in the world!

I know there are loads of these 'what colours' so sorry :)

I want to start breeding mini rex, I have 2 does and a buck arriving next week. I wondered what colours to expect, my buck is blue (from lilac and opal parents), I have one BEW doe (from havana and vm opal parents) and a frosted point doe (from blue magpie and sallander parents). I understand the vm gene, it's the colours that are confusing me.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what to expect?

Thanks in advance :)

peggysue":2ccmaj5o said:
I am new here and it's lovely to find somewhere where breeding isn't the worst thing in the world!

I know there are loads of these 'what colours' so sorry :)

I want to start breeding mini rex, I have 2 does and a buck arriving next week. I wondered what colours to expect, my buck is blue (from lilac and opal parents), I have one BEW doe (from havana and vm opal parents) and a frosted point doe (from blue magpie and sallander parents). I understand the vm gene, it's the colours that are confusing me.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what to expect?

Thanks in advance :)

Welcome! Glad to have you here...

Now, some of your colors are confusing to me...so here is a link I found that may be helpful:

http://natalieshobe.tripod.com/id21.html

Thanks so much for replying! That link was a really good read, I've saved it as a 'faveourite' ;)
What about my colours was confusing? Did I not explain very well or are they just confusing colours?

peggysue":1yyghtj1 said:
Thanks so much for replying! That link was a really good read, I've saved it as a 'faveourite' ;)
What about my colours was confusing? Did I not explain very well or are they just confusing colours?

Confusing as in "I am not familiar with those colors so I am totally confused!" :lol: Sallander can be a "color" or a "breed", as can "havana"...and different breeds call their colors different things, like castor - agouti - chestnut, etc. So much to try and comprehend!

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm struggling to find info on BEW breeding and none at all on frosty points x

Frosty point is an ermine. Nonextension chinchilla.
Also useful is all the color names and their genetics http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-ge ... pes-chart/ Different breeds do call the colors different though which is why you'll see some with 2 names on there and some will not be accurate for a breed.

The blue x bew will get you blue since one parent was opal and may get you opals. You will probably also get blacks and chestnuts from the Havana side making your bew probably a black based rabbit carrying blue. That's not certain though. Beyond that it can't be told. Lots of things could happen or nothing else.

Blue x ermine is a wildcard. If the blue is just plain blue you will get chestnuts, blacks, blues, and opals all carrying chinchilla, nonextension and blue if they aren't already blue. However you are throwing in a lot of genes that can do weird things there and if the blue carries some recessives you could get interesting colored rabbits.

Latest posts

Back