What colors do you think these two would have?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywalt

Reaction score
We have 2 lionheads. 1 female (mostly white) and 1 male (Orange?).

We are wondering what colors their babies might be if we decide to breed them. Any thoughts???

Thank you!!!!

Attachments

• Rusty1.jpg
    Rusty1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 517
  • Rusty2.jpg
    Rusty2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 517
  • Flower1.jpg
    Flower1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 517
  • Flower2.jpg
    Flower2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 517
  • Flower3.jpg
    Flower3.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 517
I'm gonna practice my genetics, but someone who knows more will come along and correct or improve it. ;) Looks like a broken black tort male with the orange. They both carry ee, so you can not get non-torted selfs (blacks, blues, chocolates or lilacs). You can export more black torts, and oranges and if they both carry dilute, at least blue torts or creams. If they both carry chocolate, there are more torts possible. There are probably more options if you know what they are carrying at "c".

Thank you.

The female is the top 3 pictures, the male the bottom 2.

What does "ee" mean?

I'm not good with colors, but the male looks pretty solid orange to me.

Oops sorry. Your doe is aa B_ C_ D_ ee and your buck is A_ B_ C_ D_ ee. The ee is the "non-extension" gene. It means your doe would be broken solid black, if the ee was not there. That is what makes the orange show. Your buck would be chestnut without the ee.

He could with another doe that is not a tort, orange, cream. The "ee" the doe has will prevent the chestnut from happening.

An orange rabbit is a chestnut with nonextension. That ee is keeping him from being a chestnut. With another ee rabbit you can never get regular agoutis like chestnuts. Only oranges, reds, creams, fawns... The self version are the torts. The doe is either broken orange or broken tort. Most likely you will get orange and broken orange. Tort and broken tort would be the next likely. Other colors are possible but cannot be determined from just looking at the parents.

Thank you. I'm extremely in the dark about most of what was written above......... I just don't understand it.

I do understand this though.................
"Most likely you will get orange and broken orange. Tort and broken tort would be the next likely. Other colors are possible but cannot be determined from just looking at the parents."

We bred her for the first time with a REW double mane. We ended up with 6 kits. 3 are REW, 1 broken brown, 1 broken black, 1 blue. Five of them are double mane like their father, 1 single mane like the mother.

We LOVE the color of her first litter and would hope for a mix with another buck (like the orange one in this thread) but it sounds like that probably won't happen, right?

They are close in color so there is not a lot of diversity available between them. If she's thrown blue you could get the dilute version of those colors. Blue tort and whatever they call diluted orange in your breed. It depends if the buck carries any colors hidden. He has a very dominant color that can hide lots of things or there could be nothing hidden and he'll simply throw all oranges and broken orange with your doe. It's hard to tell without parents' info and often some offspring to fill in the gaps of what colors he carries.

akane":1w5crt4m said:
They are close in color so there is not a lot of diversity available between them. If she's thrown blue you could get the dilute version of those colors. Blue tort and whatever they call diluted orange in your breed. It depends if the buck carries any colors hidden. He has a very dominant color that can hide lots of things or there could be nothing hidden and he'll simply throw all oranges and broken orange with your doe. It's hard to tell without parents' info and often some offspring to fill in the gaps of what colors he carries.

Okay, so I think we will try him/her together and see what they have. I'll post pictures and ask for everyone's help in determining what they are. We probably will breed them together next week, so it will be 31 days after that for birth and then a couple weeks to get their colors good.

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back