What color will I get?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powellanimals

Reaction score
If I breed a Chocolate Tort and a Blue Tort what are my chances of getting a black tort and/or a lilac tort?
The first litter she gave me from this pairing definitely has chocolate torts, blue torts, and REWs but I'm trying to figure out if I can get a lilac tort from this?

Dam is a Blue tort, parents are both black torts, grandparents are a lilac tort, two black torts, and a black, great grandparents are all over (choc. tort, choc. point, smoke pearl, black tort, and blacks)
So she obviously has to be dilute but carrying black and chocolate genes?

Sire is a Chocolate Tort, parents are a black and black tort, grandparents are REW, Chocolate, Lilac Tort, and black tort, great grandparents and great-great grandparents are mostly chocolate and black and chocolate otters.

If someone could help me figure out what the genotypes are, I would greatly appreciate it!

If you blue tort carries chocolate and your chocolate tort carries dilute (blue) you will get something like this.

ee aa Dd Bb 25% black tort (carries dilute and chocolate)
ee aa Dd bb 25% chocolate tort (carries dilute)
ee aa dd Bb 25% blue tort (carries chocolate)
ee aa dd bb 25% lilac tort

If the chocolate tort does not carry dilute and the blue tort does not carry chocolate then you will get 100% black torts.

If the chocolate tort carries dilute but blue tort does not carry chocolate you will get

ee aa Dd Bb 50% black tort (carries dilute and chocolate)
ee aa dd Bb 50% Blue Tort (carries Chocolate)

The other way around just reverse the colors.

REW, or sallander might also be possible if both parents carry the right recessives at the C locus

alforddm":q26n2s0s said:
If you blue tort carries chocolate and your chocolate tort carries dilute (blue) you will get something like this.

ee aa Dd Bb 25% black tort (carries dilute and chocolate)
ee aa Dd bb 25% chocolate tort (carries dilute)
ee aa dd Bb 25% blue tort (carries chocolate)
ee aa dd bb 25% lilac tort

If the chocolate tort does not carry dilute and the blue tort does not carry chocolate then you will get 100% black torts.

If the chocolate tort carries dilute but blue tort does not carry chocolate you will get

ee aa Dd Bb 50% black tort (carries dilute and chocolate)
ee aa dd Bb 50% Blue Tort (carries Chocolate)

The other way around just reverse the colors.

REW, or sallander might also be possible if both parents carry the right recessives at the C locus

Perfect, that is exactly what I wanted to know! Since I definitely have chocolate torts and blue torts in the litter then they both have to carry dilute and chocolate, correct? Which means I have a 25% chance of getting a lilac tort.
Since the litter gave me two REWs then both parents also have to carry a recessive C.

Your post was so helpful. Thank you!
Greatly appreciate this!

Yes, having rew in the outcome changes your chances a bit because rew masks everything and 25% of our litters will end up REW. Anything cc will be REW.

ee aa Dd CC Bb 6.25%
ee aa Dd CC bb 6.25%
ee aa Dd Cc Bb 12.5%
ee aa Dd Cc bb 12.5%
ee aa Dd cc Bb 6.25%
ee aa Dd cc bb 6.25%
ee aa dd CC Bb 6.25%
ee aa dd CC bb 6.25%
ee aa dd Cc Bb 12.5%
ee aa dd Cc bb 12.5%
ee aa dd cc Bb 6.25%
ee aa dd cc bb 6.25%