What color now?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrabston

Reaction score
These two started out completely solid. Now at two and a half weeks they are both lightening up and have these markings on their sides. Is that normal for mini rex kits? Do you think the dark one is still a Castor and the light one is a red? Mama of both is Castor, dad is Opal.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 86copy.jpg
    86copy.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 479
  • Dark Kit.jpg
    Dark Kit.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 479
  • Light Kit.jpg
    Light Kit.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 479
Light one is a red, the second one must be a castor but color may be going funky because of the fur length/way it's growing. Not sure if that's normal or not. I guess it could be a really smutty red but I wouldn't think it would be that dark as a baby.. but I could be wrong.

That is normal for a castor. That agouti gene is something else, and a complete source of confusion in rexes. Its the same gene that causes sables in german shepherds, it my favorite coloring. First they are dark, then the ends lose the dark as the lower rings push out. It's like seeing a base coat. Then when the fur grows again the tips are black, and the amount of surface black depends on the genetics of the parents. My castor doe is a nice mahogony, but I have seen those that look nearly black.

Back