What color is this doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivybearfarms

Reaction score
So I mixed a broken gold tip steel A-B-C-Dd-Es- with a chinchilla... A-B-C(chd)DdE- I ended up with a broken chinchilla, a blue chin.... and ? Is this also a chin or a silver tipped blue since both are possible.. she looks to be a different color than the squirrel....

Attachments

• 20220929_152158.jpg
    20220929_152158.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220929_152204.jpg
    20220929_152204.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So I mixed a broken gold tip steel A-B-C-Dd-Es- with a chinchilla... A-B-C(chd)DdE- I ended up with a broken chinchilla, a blue chin.... and ? Is this also a chin or a silver tipped blue since both are possible.. she looks to be a different color than the squirrel....
Look for rings in the coat by blowing into it. That's a pretty good way to tell an agouti from a steel. On young rabbits, ring color might not be clear on the back yet, so try blowing into the fur on the flanks.
From the picture of the siblings, I wouldn't be able to be sure that's a squirrel, either - the nape and ears look like an agouti, but the back looks like a lot of white hairs interspersed with the blue rather than agouti ring color/ticking. But that could be just the photo...can you post blowing-into-the-fur pictures of all three of them?

Look for rings in the coat by blowing into it. That's a pretty good way to tell an agouti from a steel. On young rabbits, ring color might not be clear on the back yet, so try blowing into the fur on the flanks.
From the picture of the siblings, I wouldn't be able to be sure that's a squirrel, either - the nape and ears look like an agouti, but the back looks like a lot of white hairs interspersed with the blue rather than agouti ring color/ticking. But that could be just the photo...can you post blowing-into-the-fur pictures of all three of them?
See, thats my problem as well. The lighting in the barn is cruddy, I'll take them outside and post pictures a little later as well. The doe is very clearly a gold tipped steal and very probably carries d as there is an opal grandparent (Im not doubting any of her genetics). The buck (Standard Chin) is where I run into problems. His Dad is a broken standard chin---Grandparents are rew, and broken sable (supposedly) - aaB_cchl_D_ee crossed with ??-??-cc-??-?? does not equal cchd at all, so im assuming that broken sable was not a broken sable.

This is the doe I thought was a blue chin. The picture with the cream and blue/gray base base is her stomach underside of tail same. Rabbit Color Genetics
Blue Silver Tipped Steel: A_B_cch3_dd Es Which would make more sense.... if it was a blue chin it would be A_ B_ cch3_ dd E_.... which both are possible.... Opinions?

Update: We have determined Blue Silver Tipped Steel.

Attachments

• 20220930_090845.jpg
    20220930_090845.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220930_090830.jpg
    20220930_090830.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220930_091018.jpg
    20220930_091018.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220930_090856.mp4
    20.9 MB
Last edited:
This is the broken light blue something. This one has an all white stomach and under tail

@Alaska Satin Does this qualify as rings? different coat than the other doe without the rings

Attachments

• 20220930_090445.jpg
    20220930_090445.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220930_090321.jpg
    20220930_090321.jpg
Last edited:
The chinchilla.... and now im not sure if its a chin or a black silver tip steel.... All white stomach and under tail. Both are possible but black silver tipped is more likely since Es is dominate to E...

Black Silver Tipped Steel: A_B_cch3_D_Es
Chinchilla: A_ B_ cch3_ D_ E_

Update: This is definitely a black silver tipped steel.

Attachments

• 20220930_090717.mp4
    10.7 MB
  • 20220930_090739.jpg
    20220930_090739.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Okay Doe: A a B _ C _ D d Es _ En en The Buck: A _ B _ cchd _ D d E _ en en

Attachments

• 20220928_170421.jpg
    20220928_170421.jpg
  • received_2008591205980475.jpeg
    received_2008591205980475.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 0
  • received_1121112995391112.jpeg
    received_1121112995391112.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 0
  • received_362941018902004.jpeg
    received_362941018902004.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0
This is the doe I thought was a blue chin. The picture with the cream and blue/gray base base is her stomach underside of tail same. Rabbit Color Genetics
Blue Silver Tipped Steel: A_B_cch3_dd Es Which would make more sense.... if it was a blue chin it would be A_ B_ cch3_ dd E_.... which both are possible.... Opinions?
Yes, blue silver-tipped steel makes more sense. She does not seem to have even rudimentary ring color. As I understand it, steel does not *necessarily* mean the rabbit will have a solid belly.

This is the broken light blue something. This one has an all white stomach and under tail

@Alaska Satin Does this qualify as rings? different coat than the other doe without the rings
Those don't really look like rings to me, though that first fur photo is borderline - if that was the only image I *might* be able to convince myself that I was looking at very poor ring color. But the second fur shot does not show rings at all. Since it's a broken, you would expect the belly and tail to be white, so that's not much of a clue. Looking at all four photos together (the ones in the original post of the whole rabbit, and the two of the fur) and considering that she's a junior, plus knowing the dam is a steel, I'd call the junior a broken blue silver-tipped steel.

Here's in an image of chinchilla ring color in a mini lop from The A Locus
1664691241051.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back