What color is my rabbit??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westcoastlops

Reaction score
I just rescued this holland lop and I’m not sure what color she is. I thought she would be a black tort but she has an interesting color pattern on her back

Attachments

• 24D98AD1-01B7-4FB7-B25C-DEEC0D4414A2.jpeg
    24D98AD1-01B7-4FB7-B25C-DEEC0D4414A2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 73911AF5-73BA-48AC-8895-406293ED6C0D.jpeg
    73911AF5-73BA-48AC-8895-406293ED6C0D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 9A1D5963-DA75-4BB6-A41F-178203866F96.jpeg
    9A1D5963-DA75-4BB6-A41F-178203866F96.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I just rescued this holland lop and I’m not sure what color she is. I thought she would be a black tort but she has an interesting color pattern on her back
I agree with @RabbitsOfTheCreek, it looks like a sable, aka siamese sable. A sable is a shaded rabbit, which is why you see the darker areas on her head, ears, feet and tail. The shading comes from one copy of the sable aka shaded gene <cchl> (also known as chinchilla light, which removes most of the yellow/red pigments, leaving black and sepia brown). A tort is not technically (genetically) shaded but rather a self rabbit with two non-extension genes <ee> that affect the longer fur differently than the shorter fur on the head, ears, feet, tail. The patterns end up looking quite similar, but if she was a tort, she would have reddish tones in her coat in addition to the black shading, rather than the sepia tones you see on her back.

Here's what one of my American Sables looked like in molt:
Dusty in molt.jpg Dusty in molt b.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with @RabbitsOfTheCreek, it looks like a sable, aka siamese sable. A sable is a shaded rabbit, which is why you see the darker areas on her head, ears, feet and tail. The shading comes from one copy of the sable aka shaded gene <cchl> (also known as chinchilla light, which removes most of the yellow/red pigments, leaving black and sepia brown). A tort is not technically (genetically) shaded but rather a self rabbit with two non-extension genes <ee> that affect the longer fur differently than the shorter fur on the head, ears, feet, tail. The patterns end up looking quite similar, but if she was a tort, she would have reddish tones in her coat in addition to the black shading, rather than the sepia tones you see on her back.

Here's what one of my American Sables looked like in molt:
View attachment 35968 View attachment 35969
Oh wow! Thank you for all of the information! I’m trying my best to learn colors/genetics and it can be overwhelming because there is so many colors haha. Oh yes her coloring it’s very similar to that one

Latest posts

Back