What color are my New Zealand REW?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first time posting here. Our family raise rabbits to eat, and for 4h. I would like to learn how to find what color our REWs are. I'm having a hard time finding the info that I need. Could someone point me in the right direction? Old threads, links to web sites kinda thing.
I plan on learning this and teaching it to my kids at the same time. It would make for a great 4h project. If one of you has the time and would like to make a suggestion as to breedings, were all ears. Here's a little info on our New Zealands in our rabbitry.
We have a broken black doe, a broken black buck, and a black doe. We have 3 REW bucks, and 4 REW does as well.
I keep telling the family we need to cull a buck or two. Just having a hard time deciding which ones. Maybe knowing their hidden color might help. Thanks!

the only way you'll know that is by test breeding.

Most NZW's that I know are black, chestnut or steel under that white coat.

With four bucks on hand... I would only keep two, keep the two that either best conform to what type of animal you want to breed, or that breeds the biggest litters most consistently.

Thanks Ladysown. We do have kits from a couple kindles growing out now. We got some kindles still nursing (3 weeks old or so), and pregnant does (2 weeks til kindle)
I am assuming that we will have enough breeding to get a good start on the project after the next round of kindles.
Could you tell me what my next step should be? I will get a full account of #'s and colors of kits tomorrow.
Thanks again. Jacob

We have NZ black does and a Californian buck. Our kits are black, white n and a few blue colored ones.
The white ones are Californian colored and have white fur all the way. Bought al I can say there. As for all the bucks. It may be a good time to start your own program n breed for your needs. Know what you have.
Our breeding cycle is having 3 fall offs and breeding our 4 does consecutively in 4 days. Doe a day. Ol Reddy has been fathering 8-11 kits per doe.
And he is easy to handle. Kids can pet him , he just kinda freezes n let's them pet. And keeps himself and his pen clean.
He is also gentle with the does never trying to show dominance. Good buck.
Hey just some of our experience good luck having fun

Thanks O, funny that you speak of your buck and how he freezes. Most of our rabbits do the same. And I was just talking with a friend about this topic the other day.

Back