What causes sore hocks-breeding to my buck.,

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I sold a buck to a genteman about 2 weeks ago.He tells me there is something wrong with the rabbit. I pretty sure from what he told me ,that he has sore hocks. Now is it cause by the cages burning his feet and causeing sores. HE needs a board in his cage or a cage with no wire bottom. Can this be passed on to his young?

My other question is do i take this buck back. Or is it to risky to do so with my herd since he has been gone for two weeks. He says he didnt get no other rabbits since mine. I dont know if i should or not.

He also wants me to breed one of those rabbits to one of my bucks. I dont think that is a good idea,Wouldnt that putting my other rabbits at risk. Or is it ok, because it is just in and out. ?

i generally don't recommend breeding rabbits to people who have rabbits from other locations. I'll sell a doe bred, but I don't tend to take in rabbits that have been exposed to rabbits from other rabbitries.

As to the bunny with sore hocks.. was he sold that way? Did you give your rabbit a thorough examine before selling it to him?

If not, I should think after two weeks that it's his management style especially since the bunny came down with sore hocks so quickly. I would advise him on how to treat it and leave it at that. yes, it can be passed on down to his young BUT it can be worked with. Such as you replace him with a buck with better feet (thick feet that are well furred).

Do not feel obligated to do something you aren't comfortable with.

I wouldn't risk offering your rabbit for stud service, personally. I've seen many successful breedings when "studding" rabbits, but an almost equal amount of STDs exposed.

Perhaps, if a well known breeder, whom I knew extremely well and I knew how he maintained his rabbitry... I would accept. However, no reputable breeder offers their rabbits for stud because they're aware of the consequences.

By all means give the buyer information on how to treat sore hocks, but do not accept the rabbit back (unless you are prepared to quarantine it for a month) and do not offer your buck for stud service. It's just too risky.

ladysown":2pianl0v said:
i generally don't recommend breeding rabbits to people who have rabbits from other locations. I'll sell a doe bred, but I don't tend to take in rabbits that have been exposed to rabbits from other rabbitries.

As to the bunny with sore hocks.. was he sold that way? Did you give your rabbit a thorough examine before selling it to him?

If not, I should think after two weeks that it's his management style especially since the bunny came down with sore hocks so quickly. I would advise him on how to treat it and leave it at that. yes, it can be passed on down to his young BUT it can be worked with. Such as you replace him with a buck with better feet (thick feet that are well furred).

Thanks. No i didnt sell him that way. I only sell healthy rabbits. I thinking this is what he has without see the rabbit. Just going by what he is telling me on the phone.

Do not feel obligated to do something you aren't comfortable with.
<br /><br />__________ Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:21 am __________<br /><br />Thanks everyont i am taking your advice and not doing it. :)

I am not to sure what happened to above post.

Latest posts

Back