What breed are these and are their breeds large enough to be a meat rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bike guy

Reaction score
Full white rabbits are young females, spotted white and yellow rabbit is a male. Females are of the same breed, the male is apparently from an unrelated breed, so we are talking about two different breeds..
The owner is not acknowledged about rabbit breeds just like me and he thinks the females might be New Zealand (which I highly doubt about). Each one is about 9 pounds. There are 5 females and 1 male. No other photos. I'm considering to buy these rabbits because they are very close to my house, but what breed are they, or which mixes they might be?
Another question, do you think their breeds are suitable for being a meat rabbit? They are smaller than the giant breeds and it means I'll have to live the stress of butchering 2 times more per a unite of meat. But they are not too small either, I think 9 pounds is not bad at all.

296105726_1196785611161219_4444108958358370877_n.jpg282157731_1675593816130877_6442449566650767099_n.jpg

I have New Zealand/lionhead/English spot mix babies. Buck is a broken tri color New Zealand and mom is English spot and lionhead mix. The babies all get 8 tp 10 lbs. They are not only cute as hack but also make decent size meat mutts. This is one of the bucklings

Attachments

• IMG_20220622_132359138_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220622_132359138_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Every rabbit is meat, it can depend on personal preferences and resources when it comes to size. Or, when breeding for show or pets it's always good to have use for the culls.

My rabbits too are mixes of whatever came my way, they went from 7-8 pounds to about 10-11lbs adult size over the years, now I'm aiming for about 9-10 lbs which is the best size for me. Getting in that direction with my current buck which is a little smaller than my does.

Gaints don't necessarily grow faster, but longer and it can take way more resources to raise them than medium sized rabbits optimized for your resources, not necessarily the best choice for everyone.

Last edited:
9 lbs? young females...

YES, those are meat rabbits.

What kind? look to be mixes. I used to have Lionhead/New Zealand crosses. VERY good meat rabbits. The compactedness of the lionhead shortened my New zealands and I had meat bricks.

I would double check the weights as that buck looks lighter than 9 lbs. But those does, if they truly are young, look like they will grow some.

Back