What Breed and How Old?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tara B

Reaction score
Long story short, i have 7 white baby bunnies i somehow won at a livestock auction today. I would love your help in guess age and breed. I think they are NZW, but not sure.

They seem healthy: clear ears and eyes, coat is glossy. Going to watch them for awhile before i put them anywhere near my other 2 NZs.

Here they are:

DSC_4592.jpg

DSC_4589.jpg

I vote yes, NZW. And I vote too young! They look 5-6 weeks? maybe? Old enough for solid foods I guess, but very young anyway....Cute little guys. You are smart to quarantine.

somehow won? o_O were you scratching your nose and bidding without knowng? hehe

I second the NZW

Every time the acutioneer looked at me i got nervous and put my hand up! Not good at auctions yet :oops:

My guess was also 5 weeks...i know they should not be away from mom yet... :(

I have 5 week old kits right now and they are much bigger and more developed than those...I am with Devon's Mom Lauren...3-4 weeks.

Given the heat and the fact that they are likely barely weaned, you will want to make sure they are drinking water. Dehydration due to not having momma's milk to drink is a concern. I'd give them a crock even if you intend to use a bottle later on. You might even take some kitchen oatmeal and make a soupy mush for them to ensure they get some liquids. Be sure to change it often enough that it does not become sour.

they look about four weeks old. I have a couple five week old kits...bigger than these by far. :) I'd think four weeks old as opposed to three, but their eating habits will tell you better. Four week old kits are more voracious than three week old ones. Tons of hay, water in a crock and bottle, and a small dish of oatmeal should get them going. Offer pellets as well, but right now having them going is more important than growth.

That second picture is adorable! Is there anything cuter than little baby bunny feet?

WAY to small to be anywhere but near mom-- I would also second the NZ for breed. And, their coats look very similar to what Rascals did when I bought him-- and I figured him to be barely 4 weeks..he had no idea what hay was--or anything besides pellets...

Devon's Mom Lauren":3a6yffgt said:
I'm going to say 3 to 4 weeks... was this at the Keady Auction?

Yes it was. That place is like a car crash - you dont want to look but you have to! I feel very sad for all the rabbits i didnt take home...

The bunnies are doing well. I think they are 3 weeks old judging from looking at a two week old litter and a 4 week old litter.

I weighed some of them yesterday. The smallest was 8.4 oz and the biggest 8.8oz. I am wondering if they are crossed with a smaller breed... Their ears are quite small.

They are eating hay, oatmeal and some pellets. They have 2 water bowls and the water level goes down regularly. Moonkitten gave me some electrolyte/probiotic mix so they are drinking that now (Thanks moonkitten!)

They hop around, groom and groom eachother and seem bright and happy.

I was concerned at the lack of poop they were producing at first but they have picked up the pace on poop production now so i feel better.

Currently they are in my livingroom. When can i move them into the garage with the other rabbits?

When can i start giving them fresh greens?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Keep them isolated from your other bunnies for at least a month. I learned this the hard way recently... I would go ahead and put some greens and some hay out for them now. Maybe even some oats, dry or wet with milk/water. They DO have kind of smallish ears....I wonder if they are crossed with ND? Maybe that is why they look so small?

If by fresh greens, you mean weeds, there are some that are extremely safe as starter greens for young rabbits. I highly recommend raspberry, blackberry or strawberry leaves and the lawn weeds plantain and shepherd's purse. (All greens should be unsprayed, of course.) These plants help guard against diarrhea and, in fact, are good remedies for it. You can feed other greens as well, of course, but making sure one or more of these is in the mix is a good idea while they are getting accustomed to greens. Remember to start with small quantities and work it up slowly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago_major
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsella_bursa-pastoris

Ears grow--they do not keep the same proportions to the head and body. (That is why Prince Charles is even goofier looking now than 20 years ago!)

Back