What age would you remove a nest box for a holland lop?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why remove the nest box? I keep it in there for 8 weeks (rather big, closed style), or as long the doe nurses. I think they know that's the place, and don't pester her outside after 4-5 weeks. I have no hard facts for that, it's just an intuitive feeling. At some point they don't use it anymore, other than as litterbox, then I take it out.

I say it depends on your set up. Are they in cages? I have seen breeders turn the nestbox on its side with great success, usually at three weeks or when they start exploring. Babies still use it as a hideout and mama can still head in to feed. It also gives mama another level to hangout. I take mine out around 4 weeks so they can't go potty in it, and get used to using the litter tray. Mamas still feed them randomly throughout the day. But I have noticed mine start weaning around 4 weeks even though they stay together for at least 8 weeks. Possible they still nurse at night when I don't see it.

Latest posts

Back