What age to start handling kits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbits by Accident

Reaction score
Hi! Me again!

What age can you start handling the kits to get them used to being handled? (Actually I just want to pick them up and snuggle them they are just too cute. But this way I can sound like I'm actually "socializing" them LOL)

Mine are only 5 days old so I don't think they're old enough but I thought I'd ask.

I'm going to have a really hard time with the butchering part of this process LOL

Thanks!
Liz

I have a suggestion for not getting too attached to all of them. Focus on a few kits and kind of ignore the others and then you might not get attached to the ones that you are ignoring and then eating.

Hi! Me again!

What age can you start handling the kits to get them used to being handled? (Actually I just want to pick them up and snuggle them they are just too cute. But this way I can sound like I'm actually "socializing" them LOL)

Mine are only 5 days old so I don't think they're old enough but I thought I'd ask.

I'm going to have a really hard time with the butchering part of this process LOL

Thanks!
Liz
I usually pick them up right away to count them, make sure there aren't any dead ones, etc., and then check them every day for nice full bellies. The does don't seem to mind, especially if you give them a little snack first! I just give a bit of black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS).

Yes, the butchering is tough. I tell my kids that if it didn't bother them at least a little, there might be something wrong with them! It does get easier. It sounds bad, but the more rabbits we go through, the less sentimental I feel towards any one in particular, so I am able to make the hard decisions of who to cull without too much heartbreak.

You can handle them immediately. Your scent is already on everything so the doe is used to it. I only handle mine to check for full bellies for the first 3-5 days. After that, we enjoy the heck out of them! And yes, the dispatching is difficult. We keep our eyes on our objective and we feel strongly about putting good fresh meat in the freezer. We allow ourselves to get a bit attached to our breeders but even that has to be tempered with good sense IMHO.

I have another point to make about butchering. The tiny cute fluff balls become strong semi-truculent teens at about 12 weeks armed with razor sharp teeth and claws. Conveniently, you will likely have more adorable fluffballs on the way. This is how my kids handled it, the teen bunnies were hard to handle and could hurt, so it was easier to let them go. Of course if you are patient and firm they get thru it but they almost all go through a rough patch where they get bratty. It helps that that is about the time you want to think about culling.

I have another point to make about butchering. The tiny cute fluff balls become strong semi-truculent teens at about 12 weeks armed with razor sharp teeth and claws. Conveniently, you will likely have more adorable fluffballs on the way. This is how my kids handled it, the teen bunnies were hard to handle and could hurt, so it was easier to let them go. Of course if you are patient and firm they get thru it but they almost all go through a rough patch where they get bratty. It helps that that is about the time you want to think about culling.
HAHAHAHA This is EXACTLY what my adult daughter says.

It's like they are a different creature altogether.

and YES, it HELPS!

Well everyone always wants a baby. I've never heard anyone say we're really looking forward to having a teenager LOL

Once we start butchering I'll be more in line with filling the freezer and less likely to get attached ... plus all the beautiful pelts! My daughter wants to try making rabbit foot keychains so I guess she's not too disheartened by the prospect of killing the rabbits LOL

Liz

Back