What’s wrong with his leg? Help.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosima

Reaction score
I just checked on my babies rabbits and one doesn’t what to put weight on one of his back legs and when I touch it he tries to run! what should I do?

Attachments

• 4FD48317-4C9E-4C4C-AA80-1E1AB5FB8E19.jpeg
    4FD48317-4C9E-4C4C-AA80-1E1AB5FB8E19.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 3A3512B1-E441-4EE7-BBF8-C691A1E50DFD.jpeg
    3A3512B1-E441-4EE7-BBF8-C691A1E50DFD.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • CB44A8E9-165C-4D4E-B227-AA028D702AA2.jpeg
    CB44A8E9-165C-4D4E-B227-AA028D702AA2.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
It's impossible to tell what's going on without x rays. I'd say he could have jumped and landed wrong and probably bruised it. Worst case he broke it. Either leave it and see if it gets better or take him in for x rays. I would take the wait and see approach and if it gets worse I would cull him.

The closest vet is almost two days away so a x ray is not a option. If he dislocated his knee is there anything I can do because my mom thinks he dislocated his knee?

If he actually dislocated it, you could try and pop it back into place, but in think you should wait longed

The closest vet is almost two days away so a x ray is not a option. If he dislocated his knee is there anything I can do because my mom thinks he dislocated his knee?
If dislocated, the sooner the better to get it back before the soft tissue surrounding the joint reforms itself to support the dislocated position. I dislocated my thumbs often due to osteoarthritis and the way to fix, if my right thumb slipped, I pull it straight and hard with my left hand. The usually resets it. Vice versa if it's my left thumb. Just be careful because you have a young rabbit and you don't want to make things worse. If it can't be helped and seems to be suffering, the best course is culling.

It would be easy to tell as long as you know what it's supposed to feel or look like normally. I'd say the way he's holding his leg it's the hock joint but could be the hip. Does he move that leg at all? When he hops, does he put any weight on it or does the leg itself seem to be in a "fixed" position?

Check for broken toenails, sores on the feet or hocks (sometimes very small) or cuts. All these can be difficult to spot if you are not looking for them and can cause a lot of pain.

it looks dislocated and if it sits longer than a day or so it might not be repairable. It takes more strength than you might think to pop them back in. And then you need to stabilize it. If it's not fixed at this point, it might be kindest to euthanize this one.

It would be easy to tell as long as you know what it's supposed to feel or look like normally. I'd say the way he's holding his leg it's the hock joint but could be the hip. Does he move that leg at all? When he hops, does he put any weight on it or does the leg itself seem to be in a "fixed" position?
The leg stays in the same position.

it looks dislocated and if it sits longer than a day or so it might not be repairable. It takes more strength than you might think to pop them back in. And then you need to stabilize it. If it's not fixed at this point, it might be kindest to euthanize this one.
It’s been four days :(.

If he is limping for the rest of his life it might be the best for him. Especially because he’s a buck, he wouldn’t be able to breed a doe. also i would be surprised if he doesn’t develop leg/foot issues on his good leg.

Back