We've got babies!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
One of the new NZW does I bought this week was bred, and she kindled last night! She started pulling fur, and went off feed yesterday. Not sure how many, all I know is hubby said they are warm and alive, and mom was chowing down this morning! She's a great mom, not at all nervous around us, and the best part.......they are alive! :D We lost our first batch, so we are very happy, especially since it was still pretty cold out last night, and it's snowing today! She did good!

Yay!! Thank you! :bouncy:

When can we look in there? Will it harm them at all? I want to know how many are in there!!! :lol:

You can look in the nest anytime. In fact your should... just to do a count and make sure there there are no dead or deformed kits. Take a nice treat for momma in case she is a worry-wart... It will keep her occupied and anyway, she's earned it! You can pull the box forward to do the check or take it out entirely. Momma will likely hop in when you're done, just to make sure all is well.

Many people check the kits daily. If it is very cold, you might want to just take a quick peek and make sure there are no dead ones rather than taking each one out. Be sure to put the fur back on top of them. You can always do a more thorough check another day.

Oh.....yay! I've got to feed kitties, and then I'm going to head out for the afternoon check. I'll probably just pull the nest box out, I think it will be easier.<br /><br />__________ Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:27 pm __________<br /><br />We've got 5 little pink popples in the nest, and momma is NOT happy when you open the cage! She came after me when I took out the nest box. Will she settle down, and get over that? She's a good momma, that's for sure! :lol:

She will almost certainly calm down once the kits have their eyes open. Many start to relax once the first few days pass. This is new to her too... She doesn't know what to expect and is operating on instinct. Give her a healthy treat - through the bars at first if necessary - whenever you stop at her cage. She will soon start associating your visits with goodies instead of regarding you as a threat to her kits. (We hope!)

Congratulations! :clap2: There's nothing like peeking into the nestbox and seeing your first litter of squeaking, popping babies.

Janine

LOL!! They really do pop! :lol: Thanks all! :D Just checked them today, and they are all doing great, starting to get white hair. It's so exciting when it's all so new yet!

Maggie........thanks for the tip. I spent a few minutes in front of her cage, feeding her tender bits of alfalfa hay, and each time I would pass, I'd give her a bit. It worked! Though, I did make hubby reach in the cage this last time! ;) :D

2 things . I have mentioned in another post about the rabbit judge I knew in CA . He kept about 200 rabbits himself . That would be a "running count" of rabbits and kits at any given time . I noticed that he fed and watered each one and paid a bit of attention to them . Be it a head rub or even just a back rub . That might be a way of showing them that he meant no harm . Sooo when he needed to check a new litter mommy had no problem with him . It just seems logical .
Now for a question . Since a cold night was mentioned I remember covering the parakeet when I was real young . Mom said it kept it warm as well as making it feel safe . Is it a good idea to cover cages at night or any other times so as to keep in the warmth especially soon after birth ?

I've done it now and again on nights of bitter cold - I'm talking -20 degrees Fahrenheit. Generally speaking, if the nest box is adequate and they have plenty of fur over them and are protected from cold from below if the nest box has a wire bottom, they will be fine.

I second the idea of being sure it's protected from the bottom (the nestbox, that is). The kits will burrow DOWN to the bottom of the box seeking warmth. Once there, they don't go back up, or if they do, it's on top of OTHER kits. So I put insulation under my boxes now (lost a litter to the cold even tho they were covered with tons of fur and hay). works well :)

Back