Well, this is a first...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
We've all done it with rabbits... you find a cold kit, and put it under your shirt or in your bra... well, I have an egg in my bra right now! :roll:

This morning, I found that two more silkie chicks had hatched, and the egg that started pipping yesterday showed no progress. I figured the chick had died, but I peeled a little of the shell off until I could see its beak, and it was moving despite the chick being cold to the touch. So into the bra cup it went, and now it has started to cheep!

Cotton, the hen, is not sitting on her eggs much, I think because we gave her some feedstore chicks so she thinks her job is done. I put my rabbit nestbox heater underneath the nest a little while ago in the hopes of providing just enough warmth to keep the little eggs warm enough to hatch. I hope that the heat coming from the bottom doesn't confuse the unborn chicks and cause them to pip on the bottom of the eggs.

Hopefully the nest will warm up enough that I can get this egg back in there... things are getting a wee bit ticklish now that the chick is starting to move! :lol:

That is a great idea. I hope it works. I have a muscovy duck sitting on 20 eggs and a bantam hen sitting on 12 eggs. :) And there is a hen out there with 2 out of 4 hatched chicks still with her. There is an old hen out there who is going after the chicks and killing them. She is gonna have to go.
Keep us updated on the chicks and their progress.

I remember a woman on another forum who tried to incubate an egg in her bra. She candled it at intervals to see how it was doing. It was developing quite nicely, but something went wrong and it did not make it to hatching. That thread had quite a following of members cheering on the egg.

MaggieJ":2628dsgp said:
I remember a woman on another forum who tried to incubate an egg in her bra.

I can't imagine trying to incubate it from the start... my breast is not "well-feathered" enough to do the job, if you know what I mean! :mrgreen:

Well, my chick is hatching! :p It has pecked around the perimeter, and is now pushing at the egg! :turkey:

IMG_1934.JPG

I, on the other hand, find myself craving chicken scratch and lay crumble. :feedchicken: A handful for the chickens, a handful for me... :roll:

Keep the egg in your bra or put it in a warm box with humidity! You don't want the membrane to shrink and trap it!

It's back in my shirt, but by my belly now- I thought the bra might be too constricting with it trying to push the shell. I just took it out for the photo, but thanks for the warning Chickies! :)

Glad to know stuffing cold baby critters into one's shirt is not just me being "weird" after all! Though I usually put them on my belly, then tuck or roll the shirt hem so I can continue working until I get them to the house. I did read a story once of a woman trying to smuggle parrot eggs through customs in her bra - she was thwarted as they started to hatch! And to make matters worse for her, turned out they were buzzards, not parrots, LOL

omg did it hatch inside your shirt?! I miss my chickens. :( My favorite part was hatching the eggs into chicks and watching them grow!

LindseysWoolies":1w62ur9p said:
omg did it hatch inside your shirt?!

Almost! I took it out just before so my daughter could see it- it hatched on my shirt, with my hand underneath! :D

I took it out to put it in the nest with the others, and there was another new chick! So now we have six!

So cool!!!!! Congrats on being a mother hen, MSD! :D

Sorry for this thread hijack but all this reminds me of my darling Pilgrim goose, Willow. I had four goose eggs under a broody hen (We named the hen "Mother Goose) but Willow was the only gosling to hatch. She had pipped her egg and I held it to my ear and she shrieked at me. She hatched on Mother's Day, 2005 and I had her until last summer when she died. She was a wonderful goose and I loved her dearly.

Willow and Mother Goose 11-06-05.JPG
My Willow 07-11-05.JPG

Attachments

• Funny looking chicks!.JPG
    Funny looking chicks!.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 812
Mother Goose was a lovely hen, and you can just see Willow's personality shining through in that first photo! She sure grew up to be a pretty girl. :)

Mother Goose was a Speckled Sussex... very nice hens.

Willow was wonderful. She loved to nibble gently on my knuckles and she had a wonderful sense of humour. Once they escaped their paddock and we caught them tip-toeing across the patio. I don't know how they could tip-toe with those big flat feet, but that was the impression they gave. When we spotted them she looked so guilty and then she laughed and laughed... as only geese can. Naturally she was the ring-leader in any mischief. I sure miss her. Thanks for indulging me in sharing these memories.

Congratulations on hatching your egg. Hope all is well with your chick and the others. Are you going to name it? If so, please consider "Booby".

Karen

ZRabbits":2v7v7v37 said:
If so, please consider "Booby".
:blush: :rotfl:<br /><br />__________ Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:58 pm __________<br /><br />You might consider Precious, as a name. I think that chick will be a visual image for a long time. Congratulations on hatching her/him/ um, it? For being mother hen and hatching, your first, chick!

I had 8 out of 10 eggs hatch today. So thanks to your inspiration I have stuffed the last two eggs in my bra to see if they may hatch yet. All 8 chicks seem to be doing well so figured why not try. I will give it a day. Boy wont my husband be shocked when he comes home to a wife hatching (or trying) eggs out. lol

Booby!
25r30wi.gif

Congrats MSD......er.....I mean OMH!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back