Well that sucks..

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millinex

Reaction score
Lost my big flemish giant doe last night.. Apparently she gave premature birth to 2 kits and died in the process, went out to water everyone and found her lifeless.

Any ideas why it was so difficult for her or why it killed her? She's a big girl, the kits where pretty small... dunno why it'd be so hard on her?

Sorry you lost her, though I can't suggest any reasons why.

I had a doe do that on me randomly too, she gave birth to 9 kits, all with their intestines in the outside, and died the next day. Can't say why either.

If anyone else has idea on why I'd love to know too.

Sorry you had to go through that.

Pure speculation, there just may not be any reason except some defect with in her.
It is possible, that she had ketosis/pregnancy toxemia, which can affect the doe anywhere from a week to 1-2 days before kindling. Usually there are some signs and the doe goes off her food, but not always, there is something about being pregnant that causes a build up of toxins in the body, and the doe aborts the litter and dies. I had a doe do this, but it was a week before, and she gave me enough warning that I was able to save her, but lost the litter. As a result, she has never had a litter bigger than 2-3 kits since, and only has a litter per year.<br /><br />__________ Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:20 pm __________<br /><br />http://vetbook.org/wiki/rabbit/index.ph ... cy_toxemia
Is a reference to it, but it's not always older does that suffer, my doe was 7 mos old, but I know that the breeder has had problems like that before, so it probably runs in that line.

Ak!

My favorite doe (and daughter of the doe I lost) is off feed and sluggish, and due in a couple days. I'll have to keep an extra sharp eye on her, I've lucked out so far with her as she usually gets wool block halfway through and hasn't yet, but is acting off still.

Thanks for the article sky. I found another one too real quick that does offer a bit of treatment advice as well...

http://www.hlrsc.com/Articles/reproduct ... rders.html

Hope this might help you too Millinex.

PSFAngoras":ujf541bl said:
Ak!

My favorite doe (and daughter of the doe I lost) is off feed and sluggish, and due in a couple days. I'll have to keep an extra sharp eye on her, I've lucked out so far with her as she usually gets wool block halfway through and hasn't yet, but is acting off still.

Just a word here for new breeders. It is normal for bred does not to eat as much as normal starting about a week before kindling. It is not unusual for them to not eat much at all the last day or two before kindling, especially if they are meat rabbits which have large litters. It is simply a situation where the kits take up so much room that the doe feels "stuffed". There normal eating will resume about a day after birthing. The OP here knows that her doe traditionaly has a fur block at this time. Wanted to mention that if you are new to rabbits, a doe cutting the amount of feed back starting a few days before kindling is normal.

In fact, if my does don't cut their feed back substantially the last few days before they kindle, I am fairly sure they are not really bred.

So sorry you lost her!

I just lost a doe that had a litter two days prior. She never completely cleaned herself up after kindling.

I found her with blood dripping from one nostril. When I necropsied her (the afternoon of the day she died and she was found dead that morning), her liver was discolored, she had gassy intestines, and one lung was completely full of blood. The time between death and necropsy may have accounted for some of those findings.

The dogs were "skunked" that night, so I am wondering if it may have spooked her if it was trying to get to the rabbits.

avdpas77":1d4870ml said:
Just a word here for new breeders...

Good point, I don't want to freak any newbies out, but this is a problem that this doe has a serious history with, as much so that I nearly lost her to hairball last time, and she just it's showing those symptoms again this time.

Luckily, she must have been pulling my leg because her head was back shoved in her feeder again this afternoon, though I'll still keep an eye on her just in case. Another thing for those new to rabbits to consider is that most does who have problems like hers really should be retired or culled unless you have another strong reason to keep breeding. The doe in question has the best wool yield of all my rabbits, and passes that quality on to her kits, so it's certainly worth going through the hassle, though she will be bred less often.

I'm so sorry, Millinex! :cry:

There are so many things that can go wrong during pregnancy. They usually don't go wrong, and it can be so hard to figure out.

She could have perforated her uterus, or it could have twisted... there are just so many things that can happen. :(

So sorry to hear this, Millinex.

As Miss M said, there are just so many things that can happen.

Sorry you lost your girl.

Eh, I raise rabbits for meat, for my snakes and monitors, this female had no interest in breeding so I table bred her, maybe my mistake breeding her, I'm not sure. She was a nice rabbit, did well with the dog, spent lots of time in the yard, was one of 3 in the whole group I would have held back regardless as a 'pet', but that's life sometimes, not too terribly shook up over it. I've been around death in animals so long it really doesn't bother me anymore (I know, I'm heartless).

At least at the end of the day, one of the big snakes got a nice 20lbish meal out of the dilemma, better than nothing I suppose.

So sorry for your loss but may I ask what types of snakes are you keeping that can swallow a Flemish giant?! I'm imagining a 15ft python.

Hopefully it won't happen again ^^

CochinBrahmaLover":2awg5k14 said:
So sorry for your loss but may I ask what types of snakes are you keeping that can swallow a Flemish giant?! I'm imagining a 15ft python.

This one was taken by my 18ft female reticulated python, I was going to offer it to my 14-15' range female, but she is currently refusing food in anticipation for a nice clutch of eggs so the bigger girl was next in line. It should hold her over for... 2 weeks maybe. LOL

Millinex":1w9slnwd said:
CochinBrahmaLover":1w9slnwd said:

This one was taken by my 18ft female reticulated python, I was going to offer it to my 14-15' range female, but she is currently refusing food in anticipation for a nice clutch of eggs so the bigger girl was next in line. It should hold her over for... 2 weeks maybe. LOL
Wow. Just... Wow.
I love snakes, and want to own a ball python, though reticulateds scare me - I've heard they're aggressive and they get 18ft... Lol.
How long does it take to get to 18ft?

Do you have any pictures...?

CochinBrahmaLover":1l7ayza2 said:
Millinex":1l7ayza2 said:
CochinBrahmaLover":1l7ayza2 said:

Wow. Just... Wow.
I love snakes, and want to own a ball python, though reticulateds scare me - I've heard they're aggressive and they get 18ft... Lol.
How long does it take to get to 18ft?

Do you have any pictures...?

Super tame, retics are very docile, originally when imported they where all wild caught and mostly pretty mean. Captive bred animals are great and easy to work with. All my animals are very tame.

My 18 foot female is just shy of 5 years old now, my other female at 3 years is 15ft now.. I also have a half dwarf who's 5 years and only 13 foot.. just depends.

Latest posts

Back