Weird color, what do you think?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimitsuKouseki

Reaction score
I'm curently making the add to sell my current babies, but I am stumped on this girl.
2r7pm9s.jpg

Such an odd color. I used to think she was just a blue otter, but she has such a strong tick to her fur yet I'm sure she's not agouti. Almost looks like a blue steel otter or something?
Father is a chocolate otter. He does have a tiny bit of tick in his fur, but far less then her so I never thought of it as a different trait. This is the first time one of his babies hasnt come out self or just straight otter when given a self female.
Mother is a black self with a small vienna mark on her nose. Unsure what genes she carries other then that.

Btw her brother is a gorgeous black astrex ^.-
35kk6s1.jpg

KimitsuKouseki":elhg3p99 said:
I'm curently making the add to sell my current babies, but I am stumped on this girl.
2r7pm9s.jpg

Such an odd color. I used to think she was just a blue otter, but she has such a strong tick to her fur yet I'm sure she's not agouti. Almost looks like a blue steel otter or something?

I'm not sure on the terminology, but when each hair has a color at the far end that is different than the color of the hair closest to the animal's body. that is called tips. If a pelt is said to have white tips then the animal it was taken from had many of those sorts of hairs in his/her body. Please, correct me if I am using the terminology wrong.

When I was raising meat mutts with my neighbor, we had a bunny that developed white tips early on in his life. He eventually went into the freezer, but because we let him live longer than the typical fryer, he shed those tips, so he did not have tips in his pelt.

It is sort of hard to tell from the picture, but it appears to me that some of the individual hairs on your rabbit have two colors. If this is so she may eventually shed those hairs and her color will change accordingly. Not sure if this is true, just throwing in my two cents.

What you call tip is what I called a tick. Thats the term for it cat fur term anyways, not clear if it's the same term in rabbits. Agouti is usually ticked of 3 colors, steel is 2 colors. But those normally apply to all the hair strands to my knowledge. steel is a weird gene I dont know much about, I know it's somewhat dominant but not always? but agouti is dominant of doom and I'm confident neither parents are agouti.
She's a 2 color ticked but not on every hair strand, maybe 50% of them? and her dad is perhaps 10% max? this is why I'm so confused.

Sable marten (probably actually seal marten but their appearances overlap and it's hard to tell the two apart without knowing the lines and parentage, so I usually say Sable marten which is the more common of the two terms). That tipping on the hair shaft usually goes away as they get older, the sable base gives it that silvery look.

Latest posts

Back