Weight of meat kits & breeds/mixture.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keag

Reaction score
I was wondering what the weights of your Meat kits were/are? I avidly weigh our kits to see how they are growing. Since we have slightly smaller breeds the Satin & the Rex I was wondering how they compare to other breeds. So far I have on had "Satin X?" kits & they are growing lovely.

So about 3 weeks when kits start to eat solid food on a daily basis, 6 weeks, 8 weeks if you sell them & like 12 weeks on weights. If any of you do birth weights in "grams" that would be awesome to know as well.

I will have some kits in a few days I can share their weight ever few days and we can compare. i do put my weights in grams and kilograms. how heavy are your adults. Mines are ruffly 2 kilos or 4 pounds.

Right now I really don't have full grown adults. The Buck & Doe I was told were 8 weeks old when I bought them, I doubt that very much- closer to 4 weeks. I was told they were all female but 2 were bucks & 1 Doe. If I am right they are about 6 months old now. Both are in the 6lb range. I have to weigh the Doe but I leave her be until kits are weaned.

Her first litter of 3 birth weights were 44g,45g,&53g. Her 2nd litter of 7 ranged from 52g-63g. All have lived so far from both litters. I had to switch over to Pounds/ounces since the computer program I am inputting data only lets me choose 1 so I couldn't use "grams" & switch to "pounds" later on.

I don't usually weigh until 8 weeks when most are between 4 and 5 pounds. If any are over 5# they are potential breeding stock. When I process, usually at 12 weeks, they are around 6#.

I "handweigh"... as in I've learned the approximate weight by just lifting them up. At 10 weeks my meat buns are usually 5 lbs. Any that I've double-checked have been within 1/2 lb of that.

We weigh the final product. And average 2-1/2# per frier. I believe that it is an average liter weight. Some weigh more and less than the 5# live, 2--1/2# dressed average we set as our goal. New Zealand, Californian cross

Back