weight gain goal/week

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTJeff

Reaction score
To those who weigh their buns weekly, do you have an expected goal for weeks 5-10?
is there such an expectation?
here I go, overthinking things again...

My minimum requirements

3lb by 6 weeks
4lb by 8 weeks
5lb by 10 weeks

PS I should note that I feed a natural diet rather than pellets and my rabbits are meat mutts that are 6-9 lb as adults

Dood":2tocgalc said:
My minimum requirements

3lb by 6 weeks
4lb by 8 weeks
5lb by 10 weeks

PS I should note that I feed a natural diet rather than pellets and my rabbits are meat mutts that are 6-9 lb as adults

Dood, those are really impressive numbers. I'm also feeding a natural diet and have been satisfied with our results but they are nowhere near what you are getting. I've been hesitant to try bringing in new rabbits because it isn't easy to find ones that have been on a natural diet and I wonder if we'd just bring in more problems and not necessarily improve growth.
Also wondered if your kits are sexually mature early since they approach adult weight so early. Our adults are 7 to 9 pounds, but we don't reach 5 pounds until 12 or 13 weeks.

Sorry if this is a thread hijack--I'm not really helping much on the original question. :oops:

I'm feeding 95% forage, and am happy enough with 6-lbs at 16-18 weeks. My rabbits are farm meat mongrels, nobody in their line history ever thought much about efficiency on that feed (without grains).

That's ok for me, food is for free, and I'm done with growouts by mid september. Oh, yes, I have too many does, breed them only once per year, so I can time it with pasture growth.

I'm in the same boat, ivevtriedba new buck a couple times and both set me back so for the most part over the last 5 years I've "kept the best and eaten the rest" and I frequently replace my does with faster growing and/or meatier youngsters

Yes, my rabbits do mature quicker, if a doe hasn't had her first litter by 6 months she is short listed for replacement. I also prefer them on them smaller side as adults - eat less, smaller poops, easier to manhandle :)

Back