Weepy Eye

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olafthebunny

Reaction score
Hey y'all!
So Olaf has had a watery eye for a little while now- it's been super watery, just leaking water all down his cheek. it doesn't stink, isn't like pus in anyway, and he hasn't seemed to be in pain. I asked about it on here a little while ago, and @michaels4gardens said that it could be a clogged tear duct. he suggested a way to help clear it and I tried it for about two days and nothing cleared up. Today it looks a bit worse. LFB, my sister, thinks it's weepy eye and I agree.
I will try to send a picture tomorrow when the lighting is better, as I'm writing this at night.
His eye is not red ( besides the fact that he's an albino :lol: ), inflamed, or even weird looking, just watering.
If it is really weepy eye, how can I help him and get it better? any treatments I can make at home, or do I have to buy something?
its also just his one eye, the other is completely fine and normal. His nose is not running, his poop and pee has been normal, he's eating fine, I just checked his teeth as it can be related with dental problems and they're fine as well, he's also been acting fine. I do know that tooth clicking is a sign of pain though and tonight I felt around the eye area and he started to click his teeth, so It might be starting to hurt him.
Olaf is also currently in the middle of a huge molt, so maybe it has something to do with that? not too sure.
Any help is appreciated greatly! I hate seeing his eye like this, it makes me sad.
Have a great day everyone! :bunnyhop:

OTB

So , I am guessing massaging didn't work.
[[ His nasolacrimal duct may be clogged . The nasolacrimal duct (sometimes called the tear duct) carries tears from the lacrimal sac of the eye [inside the bottom eyelid] into the nasal cavity.
If the duct is clogged, the tears just run out of the eye and down his face ,instead of going through the duct and into the nose. The Duct runs along the surface of the bone , just under the skin on the side of the face/ nose - you can try "gently" stroking the area between his eye and nose in a downward motion,[from eye to nose] on the side that is blocked- sometimes this will move mucus out of the duct, and/ or help clear obstructions. [A duct flush is beyond the expertise of most people,including most vets] ,, so your best bet it to massage the duct and try to clear the obstruction yourself. --JMHO --]]

you should carefully look in his eye again, to see if any object can be found inside the bottom lid at the bottom, [the little round hole down in the bottom is the opening to the duct] .. I have no idea how to treat weepy eye, except for a "duct flush" that is a very big deal, and should only be done by a vet with experience with that procedure. .. .. use of a small enough catheter to assure the injected liquid can escape before over pressurization of the duct can rupture it, is important...

thanks for your help again, michals4gardens! we did some research and found that cleaning it with contact/saline solution can help, so I did that this morning. as well as a tea solution LFB might help with.
:D <br /><br /> -- Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:42 am -- <br /><br /> Hey all:)
Awhile ago I said that Olaf's eye was watering. Thought it was weepy eye, then thought it was a clogged tear duct. I treated it but it never seemed to get better at all, no matter how much I cared for it. for months now it has been doing this. hasn't seemed to hurt him. My sister told me to keep checking the teeth, as often teeth issues are the main cause for eye issues and watering. I did, but the teeth kept looking fine for weeks and he was able to eat fine and everything, so didn't suspect a problem there. I then got sick for a good week and few days and wasn't able to check his teeth. I guess during that time, something had time to grow. I checked a couple days ago and found a lump ( at the beginning of this year he also had another lump, that was un related to teeth issues on the other side of his chin. the vet lanced it and it healed with the help of medicine and didn't grow back. has now shrunk) on his chin. Felt different to the last lump so I almost panicked. it's large, hard and warm. My sister, who is practically a vet, said that this time, the lump is because of an infected tooth, which is also causing his eye. everything fits together now. Hopefully taking Olaf to the vet this week or next to get it worked out. wish us luck and pray that he stays safe!

In short, basically, he has an infected tooth, that has caused a lump to grow on his chin, as well as his eye to water. that's why its been watering for this long and I just didn't notice it was a tooth issue.

Latest posts

Back