Weening

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Every time I ween a kindle I start losing bunnies. Has anyone left the babes with the doe for 12 weeks or more and then directly slaughtered? Are there any downsides to this that anyone is aware of?

How are you weaning them? How old are they when you start weaning them?

I have had Dams that wean at 5 weeks. No issues.
If they have not weaned them, I start at 7 weeks and they are all weaned by 8 or 9 weeks depending on litter size. They can be left longer, however I find better growth after weaning.

Do you have feed and water available to the kits at an early age? If your kits starting eating solids as soon as they start hoping out of the nest box you should be able to transition them through the weaning process without issue.

Every time I ween a kindle I start losing bunnies. Has anyone left the babes with the doe for 12 weeks or more and then directly slaughtered? Are there any downsides to this that anyone is aware of?
Quite often there is a problem with newly weaned rabbits if there is a too-sudden transition from momma's milk to adult pellets. This "weaning enteritis" can lead to diarrhea and rapid death of weanlings. Weaning should be a process not an event. If you have sufficient space, you can leave the youngsters with the doe, but the most effective means of preventing this problem is to feed a good bit of grass-hay instead of an all-pellet diet.

If the youngsters are exhibiting signs of diarrhea, feeding any or all of the greens below can make a big difference:
- Common Plantain -- Plantago major and related species -- Broadleaf Plantain – The “Weed” You Won’t Want to Be Without
- Shepherd's Purse -- Capsella bursa-pastoris -- shepherd’s purse | plant
- the leaves of raspberry, blackberry and strawberry plants.

We really need more information about your rabbits' diet and the symptoms of the youngsters you are losing in order to be sure you are experiencing the problem that is often the reason for loss of kits at weaning age. The more you tell us, the more we can help you.

I usually ween around 8 weeks and I have pellets and hay available as soon as they can climb out of the birthing chamber. My feeders are high enough that they can’t reach the food until they are about a month old. That keeps them from climbing into the feeder and relieving themselves in the pellets. I have left kits with mom for up to 12 weeks with no trouble. For me it’s the progress or lack of it that dictates when I ween the kits.

My does wean the kits.

There is water hay and pellets in the cage.

When i see the kits eating pellets and hay, mom comes out.

KISS....

Back