Weened kits dying

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I split one open and she was constipated with chunks in her intestine that were approximately 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1/2" thick. I feed 16% pellets exclusively. The 3 remaining 9 week old kits are not pooping either. I was using Corid but just topping off the water bottles daily. I just learned today that it goes inert after 24 hours so my solutions were possibly too weak to accomplish their task.

Corid is sometimes used against coccidiosis in goats.

https://gmsgoats.com/blogs/raising-dairy-goats/coccidia-prevention
In the comments at the bottom of this write-up about treating coccidiosis in goats, I found this:

"I lost 3 goats in less than a week. One was 4mos, her momma was 4 yrs old & the last was 8 mos. I have 3 left. They have showed no signs of the parasite. I do want to prevent them from getting it. I bought the corid liquid. It has a warning about causing constipation in goats. How often do I give to use as preventative? Every thing I’ve read have different opinions & instructions."

I'm not saying that the Corid is the cause of your rabbits' deaths, but you might want to consider the possibility. Feeding wet dandelion greens may act as a laxative for the ones that are left. And yes, hay rather than pellets until they recover.

I started the Corrid because they were dying. The three remaining I saved by putting 2 cap fulls (the adult dosage) of private label Mir a lax in their quart water bottle.

Latest posts

Back