washing kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joplus

Reaction score
I have some baby Flemish Giants. Two that I quarantined due to an eye infection. They are 4.5 weeks old, eating solids, lapping up formula and eyes are healed. I just don't clean them as good as the mama. So they need a bath. Its 90° here so not worried they'll get chilled. What can I wash them with?

Unscented Dawn dish soap is often used on animals for a variety of reasons. I like horse shampoos second. They tend to not have harsh or medicated ingredients and are less drying to the skin than dish soap. If you get puppy or kitten shampoo make sure it's plain nonmedicated. Some use shampoo for human babies but many of those have ingredients that can irritate our furred pets and especially young pets. Mainly the ones with a numbering chemical to reduce potential eye discomfort are controversial.

If you do decide to use a pet shampoo or Dawn, these are very useful even when diluted 1:20 in water. You'll still get good lather, and it will rinse out more easily than if you'd used full-strength shampoo/Dawn.

The two grooming shops I worked in diluted everything--less expensive, better and faster coat penetration, easier rinsing, and equally good cleaning power as 100% strength--and I've carried this practice over to my own cats and dogs. I haven't needed to wash Parsley, though; he's an adult rabbit and hasn't had any medical situations (yet). :)

arachyd":1gmte2bo said:
Awww the poor thing! I'm glad you found him, Miss M!
:p I re-read my blog post, and I had forgotten that my daughter had picked him up, and he jumped free of her... it seems he had been quite the troublemaker, but he was her favorite, because he was the red bunny in the litter.

michaels4gardens":1gmte2bo said:
The hair dryer is critical, they must be completely dry to avoid causing "other troubles" just don't get them too hot...
Yes, they shouldn't be air dried, even in warm weather. It will still cool off their bodies, possibly enough to cause stomach issues. I used the dryer on "low".

Back