Wanted: Pictures of Lilac Chinchilla!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPH_NY

Reaction score
Please share some pics of lilac chins on normal length coated bunnies (meaning not rex or angora.) :) It is DRIVING ME CRAZY that I think I might have some in my litter, but I am unable to find many pictures on the internet to compare them to. I know I have lynx and opal in my litter, and one of the lynx looks just like my buck... but I have 3 that are so pale in comparison that they don't look like their lynx sire. They look peachy-tan without much of that purple-gray cast that their dad has. I tried asking for pics on another site, but nobody had any to share. I know it's not a showable color in most breeds, so probably very uncommon. But I want to be sure I can actually tell the difference between lynx and lilac chin... It is easy on a black or blue rabbit, because there shouldn't be any tan on chins... and these kits are really tan, except where the white markings are.

So if you have lilac chins, can you show some pics?

I remember my lynx kits going through phases of peachy tan, and having the blueish cast coming in mostly with the adult coat. I don't have lilac chin pics, but maybe I can help a little with various shades of lynx kits...
bluish lynx on the far right
GEDC3215.JPGGEDC3407.JPG
Peachy lynx under an opal.
GEDC3507.JPG
Very peachy fluffball. :)
GEDC5019.JPG

__________ Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:45 pm __________

Another lynx kit on the right
GEDC3132.JPG

Older lynx buckling, showing blue cast
GEDC2809.JPG

__________ Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:46 pm __________

Daisey as a kit, blue chinchilla. No tawny shades at all like an opal would have.

I imagine a lilac chin would be similar, with just the bluish/lilac shades and none of the tawny tan or beige color.
GEDC2706.JPG

Zass, that was very helpful. I have 3 of the very peachy ones... plus 5 opals, but some of those have more noticeable tan than the others.. and then there's one that looks just like Bearnaise, with the light blue-purple cast over the peach.

I was really confused by the lack of blue-purple cast on those kits and the amount of white at the base of each hair. I still want to see pics of actual lilac chins. Perhaps they will be so obvious that I'll feel like a real dummy for even asking!

The amount of color showing in lynx seems to be somewhat connected to length of the hair shaft. Like maybe the shorter coated rabbits (like in rex ) show more of the tawny color, and longer coated ones show more bluish/lilac color.

I wish there were more really good pics of lilac chins on the web. :)

I've had Lilac Chinchilla before. I don't have any pictures of live rabbits though. They start out almost white with a lilac hue to them and one they start getting their fur it gets darker. they can really be confused with blue chinchilla but if you look close you'll see the lilac tips.

lilac_chinchilla_by_tricksters_taxidermy-d9s8n7r.jpg

Celice, it doesn't look like I expected, but it certainly is beautiful. I guess I had imagined the creamy color I see on the lynx instead of the purple-gray! Silly me.

LPH_NY":1hlr2jhf said:
Celice, it doesn't look like I expected, but it certainly is beautiful. I guess I had imagined the creamy color I see on the lynx instead of the purple-gray! Silly me.

Yeah it really is different. but really pretty!

I had three of them a few years back. They looked pink, so I kept calling them "pink rabbits". They made you look twice to decide what color they were. Unfortunately, I didn't realize exactly what they were until after I had used them for meat. (Yes--my leg is sore from kicking myself!) Sorry I don't have the rabbits or a picture, but they were decidedly pinkish. I might take the time to try to get them again sometime.

Latest posts

Back