• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rabbit Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted - MR and Mutts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cspr

Reaction score
I have two very distinct wants, but for the same ends. Healthy rabbits with great personalities for breeding, showing, and providing well-vetted people with great pets (or various species of meat-eaters with good meals).

Within the next three months, it's in my plan to expand my rabbitry by six holes. :eek: Big deal for me, maybe not for a lot of others. (Trials and tribulations of living in a subtropical climate--you can have a vast backyard, but all rabbits must be kept inside for fear of flystrike and heat stroke.)

Now I'm in Central AL but I will drive about two hours in any direction OR get transport. If the latter is acceptable, please feel free to make commentary even if you live a good four or six hours away (TN, GA, FL, or MI). Also? I'm an ARBA Youth Member. Hope that's not problematic.

MR:

I am in contact with a few good MR breeders, one of whom I have all of my current stock from. For reasons probably related to me playing strategy games as a kid and my knowledge of genetics, I'd like to broaden my gene pool. With only one true reliable rabbitry that I'm aware of in two hours distance, I could use some help. Even if we've already been talking relating to my post in Breed Discussions, feel free to respond here or send me another message.

I am interested in, first of all, show quality Mini Rex. I am looking for does currently, though may look for bucks in the future. I would prefer one junior doe and one proven senior doe, but two juniors would be acceptable. Right now, I am interested in the self varieties and REW (masking self), but I would also not "mind" a good tortoise, opal, or otter. The latter two would have to carry -a, but if they're good enough quality, I would enjoy them nonetheless. :)

Must be purebred and pedigreed to ARBA standard.

False Dwarf MR/Mutts:

I know the Astrex gene(s) are still a bit charged, but I know a trio of ladies who all seem like sweethearts who breed them as well as a few others who have been very helpful in a group I have been a part of. I love the look of the Astrex, but I did worry about any health concerns. Luckily it doesn't get cold here and one of the breeders also breeds Silver Foxes, so she intends to insure that none of her line are prone to hock-related problems. Curly, but very dense and plush fur. I am (hopefully) going to be able to get a buck from Duman's Ark. Because of that, I'm hoping to get a few does that would be perfect for this venture. False dwarf Mini Rex would be preferred for the obvious reasons (they could be bred for both projects). I would be happy to take on "mutts", if only because that will help make the American Astrex breed itself less inbred. (Maybe sometimes incorrect, but I'm going by the logic of, "All huskies in Canada can trace their blood back to six dogs; therefore, a husky crossed with an unrelated breed would have much less inbred progeny." Bit of a logical fallacy, but I think it could be useful.)

I'm looking for does that will top out at 6 lb. Mixes involving the following breeds would be welcome: Lilac, Havana, Florida White, Standard Chinchilla, Dutch, Mini Rex, Mini Satin, or Silver. Mixes involving a smaller breed (aforementioned) and a larger compact breed might be considered depending on what the kits' weights are. I would ADORE a small breed crossed with a Silver Fox, for aforementioned reason of avoiding hock problems, which is common with thin-coated curly kits. Thick-coated curly kits, however, are basically like Rex rabbits. Provide them a spot off the wire and they're fine.

Thanks for you guys' time and, with luck, we can all do a bit better in the next few months, maybe with some of us with new rabbits and some of us with less but a bit of cash in their pocket. ;)

Latest posts

Back