Vulva colors?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommaebear

Reaction score
I have a huge mix up I need to sort out and get everything back on track, I'm currently looking for information on vulva colors and the connection to fertility, and breeding, and I though you all might be able to simplify it much more quickly than I could sift through what I am looking through right now. Thanks alot!

Pale Pink= not that fertile
Dark Red = very fertile
Dark red/purple = Past prime fertility

They can breed no matter what the colour is but willingness and litter sizes are effected.

Any other colour = possibly diseased.

So with the purple/red , they are just past prime, but there would be more of a chance than if pink, am I correct?

also what if they are slightly darker pink but clearly swollen, does that mean they are vamping up and good to go?

Also I understand that 24 hrs after mating if it took place proper the vulva returns to pink, but is it still swollen? And are there vulva swollenness and color differences during pregnancy or at times close to birth?

Sorry,
but I have to disagree. I suppose everyone's mileage may differ.
I find that the pale white and shriveled means they just are not ready
and one should not waste their time trying.
bright red to purple proves to be the most fertile
and the very best time to breed. Anything from red to purple will
produce a fertile breeding.
As always JMPO and what has worked with my herd since 1989.
My suggestion is: Do whatever works for you and your herd.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Mine always look the same. I flip them over a week before I want to breed, I flip them over before breeding, I flip them over after breeding, I flip them over a week later.... Always the same pink color. :shrug:

I have to agree with ottersatin. Pale is not a condition that is good for breeding.

I was told that by my rabbit mentor many years ago and it has been correct most of the time.

I breed them anyway because that's how the breeding schedule went and usually it was not productive.

You can see my notes on breeding at http://www.rabbitgeek.com/breedingtips.html

Have a good day!

anyone know how long it takes to go from pale to pink to purple? I have heard the are fertile 14 days out of 16 so are the pale days 2?

I don't think it's such an exact science, lots of things comming into play like lighting, social stuff, temperatures etc. I never saw much difference anyhow - I go by behaviour.

My buck is upstairs in the front yard, when a doe lounges at the gate at the top of the stairs it's the perfect time, I just need to open the gate and the deed is done.
Also when they start digging tunnels seems to be a good time. In cages it might be more difficult to see the behaviour that comes with those hormone swings, but I would look for that.

Edit: Also, they are always fertile. Rabbits, countrary to humans, are induced ovulators, if they do it she gets pregnant. But the hormon levels aren't always the same, IMHO influencing their willingness, or number of eggs released. It's not a monthly, or even regular cycle as we know it. I sometimes kept my buck with my 2 does for 3 weeks - and got litters 2 weeks apart. I could have bred them anytime by putting them with the buck in a confined space, or table breed them, would have worked too.

Last edited:
Sorry,
but I have to disagree. I suppose everyone's mileage may differ.
I find that the pale white and shriveled means they just are not ready
and one should not waste their time trying.
bright red to purple proves to be the most fertile
and the very best time to breed. Anything from red to purple will
produce a fertile breeding.
As always JMPO and what has worked with my herd since 1989.
My suggestion is: Do whatever works for you and your herd.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:
This is 100% accurate.

Latest posts

Back