Virgin buck, bleeding penis, what the???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaMandy

Reaction score
I bred our orange ND buck today for the first time. I let him have an older, docile doe for his first time. He never acted like anything hurt and was successful three times, but he appeared to be bleeding from the tip of his penis. I'm positive it was coming from him and not the doe. I have never seen anything like this? Any ideas???

No, I really don't think so for a couple of reasons...1) his mother is clean and has never had it, 2) he was a virgin, and looked totally clean. I've treated rabbits for vent disease before and know what to look for. I bred him this evening to another doe like I'd already planned and there was only a tiny bit of blood that time. He bred her 3 times and never acted like anything was wrong. Very puzzling!

If he isn't inflamed, it's just a bit of blood, I'd suspect he popped a little blood vessel somewhere. There's a lot of blood flow going on during breeding if you know what I mean. :) I'd just watch him and make sure it doesn't bleed when he HASN'T been breeding does, it may just heal up fine. :)

I agree Kyle. That's kind of what I was thinking too...especially it being his first time and all. ;)I checked him before I bred him to the second doe and it looked normal other than some dried blood on the tip. I would think if he was inflamed he wouldn't be so eager to breed. I sure hope he's alright. He's my only orange and he's beautiful! :)

I just bred one of mine and it looked like his penis was bleeding, but when I dabbed it with a cotton ball there was no blood- so it was really like burst veins- blood blister from the friction- so yours might be that.

Hm, when I posted a pic of a red willy, I was told VD even though he was also a virgin buck...

Well, this wasn't just a red willy. There was literally blood coming from him and it got all over the doe.

It's not impossible for a virgin buck to have VD, but I know with mine it was highly unlikely because I raised him and know that he hasn't been exposed to it at all.

This just happened to me today and I'm wondering the same thing. Both doe and buck are virgins and it's the first time they both have been mated and after he fell off to the side a bit and tried getting back on her is when I seen blood on her rear end.
She's a white with tan spots rex and he's is black,white and silver.
He has Flemish giant, new Zealand, champagne, and lop in him

Back