Vinyl coated welded wire

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this either good or bad? I found out I can get 1/2X1X24"X50' rolls locally. It's galvanized and then vinyl coated. Thought it might make durable floors?

Don't waste your money!
What happens is:
The rabbits chew the plastic off creating places to maintain high germ counts
and dirt. I had a carrier with it and eventually trashed it.
I am of the opinion that your [or anybody else s money
would be better spent on wire without the vinyl coating.
As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

What gauge? I had some and can honestly say that it didn't last as long as GAW wire, but it was really nice on the feet of sensitive rabbits (like the 8-lb V-lop I was sold.. :evil: )

The vinyl coating is not very durable. It will get nicked and then start peeling off. The rabbits might just eat it off the bars.

If you want the floor wire to last longer you can cut the roll into sheets and have them powder coated. I'm pretty sure that bunnies can't chew off powder coating and it'll help prevent rust from forming.

HowlsOfAngels":119apisv said:
If you want the floor wire to last longer you can cut the roll into sheets and have them powder coated. I'm pretty sure that bunnies can't chew off powder coating and it'll help prevent rust from forming.

Is powder coating safe if ingested? I don't trust rabbits to not chew off and swallow at least a little.

Zass":2g8ze9rq said:
HowlsOfAngels":2g8ze9rq said:

Is powder coating safe if ingested? I don't trust rabbits to not chew off and swallow at least a little.

No more so than flaky zinc from galvanized wire or plastic coating and it tends to be more durable than both.

"While powder coated steel is the safest type of painted cage, some manufacturers sell powder coated galvanized wire cages as an inexpensive alternative. These cages pose an increased risk of zinc consumption. In many cases this is due to the fact that proper preparation for powder coating involves some roughening of the surface to be painted. This roughening can pit the galvanized surface and result in irregularities. Powder coating often adheres poorly to slick galvanized surfaces and can quickly peel and flake. The paint flakes can contain high levels of zinc, which has leached from the galvanizing into the powder coating. Pet birds intent on cage chewing can quickly ingest toxic levels of zinc and/or lead which is a common industrial contaminant of some galvanized wire (see below). Unfortunately, most owners who purchase these cages are unaware that they are buying an inferior product."

Link: http://www.forthebirdsdvm.com/blogs/new ... ge-made-of

It's unlikely they will eat anything off powder coated steel. It takes a lot before it starts flaking. Although more bendable wire is at higher risk but rabbits and other animals chew the bars of some of the more expensive cages without getting anywhere. My chins can barely get powder coating off and they crunched up the edges of an aluminum wheel. They might get a chip here and there but it's less toxic than uncoated metal. Because of how they climb on cages sugar gliders are suggested to only be put in cages with powder coated bars or a particular plastic coating that isn't as easily chewed thru as regular vinyl coated. They ingest too much or an odd result is they can get urinary infections rubbing against galvanized wire.

Back