[VERY GRAPHIC] Abnormal kit including Autopsy

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CO Int

Reaction score
So I had this REW kit born that was quite a bit smaller than the rest.

IMG-20201007-WA0005.jpg

It was the doe's first time kindling. She kindled 6 kits.

I put this kit and another one that I really wanted to survive with another doe overnight (she had kindled two days before but only had one kit). The next morning the other kit was bursting but this one had not drank. The other kits with the (biological) doe also had not drank so I tried holding her and letting this one and the remaining kits latch on and drink themselves. She did have milk but not much and every time a baby would latch on she would jump. I gave her two days and then moved all the kits with the other doe since it was obvious they were not getting fed and I didn't want them to die if I could prevent it. So all are now with foster mom who are doting on them.

Anyway, back to the REW.

At 48 hours it's coat did something strange. I know it was getting dehydrated - but it looked like it was only on the one side.

REW-DAY-22.jpg

REW-DAY2.jpg

I held his mother and let him drink but he was latching on and letting go - it was obvious something was wrong. I know some just fade but with this one I think I had identified the problem. Is it just me or is it missing an urethral opening? I had inspected it very closely, and although there is a slight dent there is no actual hole. I brought the kit inside and kept it warm and gave it some milk - it nursed quite well but died soon after. I wish I had euthanized it instead of letting it suffer - I will try and be quicker about it in future.

REW-KIT-AUTO-2.jpg

I am not a vet but I've attending my fair share of autopsies on cattle, horses and sheep (and the odd dog) so I have an idea what the general structure should look like.

Esophagus, heart and lungs seemed normal.

REW-KIT-AUTOP-5.jpg

Liver looked normal but stomach was distended. The poor little thing did get something to drink though, but I would imagine he was in quite a lot of pain.

REW-KIT-AUTOP-4.jpg

I traced the digestive tract from where it attached to the stomach to the anus - it seemed structurally sound but also showed gaseous extension.

REW-KIT-AUTOP-1.jpg

I wish I could draw a circle around the organ but just below the intestine between the two back legs seems to be the bladder. What's odd about it is that it's so muscular. In most animals the bladder is a very fine and delicate membrane. But this was very fibrous and thick. Is this normal for a rabbit or not? Interesting enough, it had two normal kidneys - each with an ureter attaching to the bladder. The bladder had an urethra attached (in the correct position) and ran all the way into the tissue where the urethral opening should be but terminated against a solid wall of tissue.

So my conclusion is that it died from septicemia due to not being unable to void urine.

I have seen atresia ani and patent urachus in horses and have heard of it in other species, but I have never seen any urethral anomalies to this extent.

Has anyone else seen this before. Also, does anyone confirm my findings?

I do have never seen this before, and don't have anything useful to add (sorry) but I would just like to thank you for those amazing pictures and such a cleanly cut autotopsy! Definitely some useful reference pictures.

Back