Vent bleeding 9 day kit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweeethearts_2002

Reaction score
I recently (5/11) had a new litter of kits and noticed some of my kits was blueish skinned ( Full blood californian) , not getting a fat belly much and not developing as quickly as the other 3. I started removing it to supliment until I realized I was doing it backwards so I began leaving it in over night and taking the biggest ones at night and returning in the morning. I only did this every other night for a week. This seemed to help tremendously.

I weighed all my kits and they were good but the runt of which we now call Binky. It's been so hot here in Texas that I also when temperatures are over 90° F started bringing the kits in just during the hottest part of the day. On the 9th day while I had everyone inside because it was over 100 outside, and because it's too cold inside I keep them on a temprature controlled heating pad. I checked them at 4:30p they were great, once more before 6:30 when I left and still perfect. I expected my husband home from work about 7 or before and knew he would check on them. He came in later than he ever has and I was gone until 10. Mind you I've been doing this a week now and no issues just so Binky can grow. When I came in and checked them my largest kit at nearly 5oz was limp, lethargic and just didn't look good.

Immediately the nurse and mother in me kicked in and I checked for dehydration and sure enough it was. I assume I didn't remove them from outside fast enough and keeping them warm didn't help any. I administered electrolytes and a dab of nutri-cal dissolved into the electrolytes. Within a few minutes of finding thie little doe I realized she too was bleeding from her vent. I watched her go to make sure. Even some small clots were coming from there. I stayed up with her all night giving her fluids every 2 hours.

By 5:30 am she was more lively and comfortable and her skin was retracting more normal so I put her down to sleep and took a nap until 8A.M. (2 hours after). I checked her at 8, hydrated some more snd she was crawling sort of and definitely more energetic. I will say this the power of prayer is the best medicine, but she made a full recovery. Has put back on her weight, no more bleeding and is even trying to eat pellet at day 13 ( today 5/23) she's bouncy and happy and full of life.

Just because there seems to be a traumatic situation and often times there is, don't assume you can't fix it. You can! Don't assume you always need a vet. You don't! You can do it! I'm no rabbit expert and I don't think there are any, we just all have "experience" that helps us to help others. The doe I helped survive, I named her Heaven and I don't know that she could be sold or ate. I may keep her snd see how well she breeds and if she doesn't she will be a pet because I am now attached to her. She's the one with yellowing on her feet. You can see one picture where her vent is so raw, but from Friday to Monday she's 100000% better!

Attachments

• 20220523_194038.jpg
    20220523_194038.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220521_231811.jpg
    20220521_231811.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220522_225813.jpg
    20220522_225813.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 10
I’m glad you were able to save yours. I had one that was bleeding from its anus. Same thing… got to hot, tried cooling and hydrating with electrolytes. Mine was making little seizure movements. Got all that to stop, but couldn’t stop the bleeding and my little baby passed. It was only 1 1/2 weeks old. This heat is brutal.

Is bleeding a normal or somewhat usual problem? Any idea what the cause is? Have you had this happen in the past or is this a new problem? I've never ever heard of this happening.

Is bleeding a normal or somewhat usual problem? Any idea what the cause is? Have you had this happen in the past or is this a new problem? I've never ever heard of this happening.
I never knew it could happen. I just found mine with a bloody bottom and twitching. I got him cooled and cleaned up, but he continued to bleed. I don’t know if something in the intestine ruptured with the intense heat or what. One of the siblings was dead, but no blood and another sibling was lethargic and no blood. We cooled that one and it was fine. The others cooled in the house and were fine.

I never knew it could happen. I just found mine with a bloody bottom and twitching. I got him cooled and cleaned up, but he continued to bleed. I don’t know if something in the intestine ruptured with the intense heat or what. One of the siblings was dead, but no blood and another sibling was lethargic and no blood. We cooled that one and it was fine. The others cooled in the house and were fine.
I've seen animals can get covid. Do you think he caught covid from you? or something like that?

Latest posts

Back