Velveteen lops Scotland?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastNeukRabbits

White Cloud Rabbits
Reaction score
Afternoon all, I have fairly recently discovered the velveteen lop. Wow! I breed standard Rex but would definitely like the find out more about v lops. I so far have had no luck finding any breeders in the UK (I see this is a beautiful American creation!) and am wondering about breeding my own lines over here? I gather they are a mix of mini Rex and English lop but how would one go about achieving a good standard of velveteen lop from the two? I am new to breeding rabbits but enthusiastic, and would absolutely appreciate any info anybody has! Thanks in advance, Grace

As far as I know they only exist in the US. Frankly, I wouldn't try starting from scratch from the US standard. I bred some when the breed was new, and it took so much to get them even where they are now and even now they're not as consistent enough to be an ARBA recognized breed. Breeding in english lops made the fur thin and it took breeding back to mini rex to get decent fur. But that messed up the ears and body type. Even now, decades later, they are usually fairly inconsistent as a breed.

As far as I know they only exist in the US. Frankly, I wouldn't try starting from scratch from the US standard. I bred some when the breed was new, and it took so much to get them even where they are now and even now they're not as consistent enough to be an ARBA recognized breed. Breeding in english lops made the fur thin and it took breeding back to mini rex to get decent fur. But that messed up the ears and body type. Even now, decades later, they are usually fairly inconsistent as a breed.
Yes, following some online research, the breed standard does seem to vary rather. They are beautiful but I think to import a decent breeding trio would be a tad out of my price range! Ah well, back to my standard Rexs, which aren’t that easy to come by where I am either. Thanks for your advice

Latest posts

Back