Using brine to soak rabbits before cooking

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

MnCanary

Reaction score
There is something I've never understood about using salty water (brine) to soak a rabbit before cooking. I learned in school that water moves from a less salty area into a higher salty area. So, wouldn't water move from the rabbit (less salty) into the brine solution (more salty) ? When cooked, rabbit mean can be dry. Wouldn't soaking in brine result is an even drier meat?

I can cook oatmeal, and eggs, but that is about it. I'm no cook. What am I not understanding here?

MnCanary

Reaction score
And by the way, how much salt into how much water? The usual directions are "put some salt in the water", or, "a handful of salt". Is there any precision to this?

TroubleMakerAcres

Reaction score
And by the way, how much salt into how much water? The usual directions are "put some salt in the water", or, "a handful of salt". Is there any precision to this?

I can say from experience that brined rabbit is superior to unbrined rabbit, same for turkey.

Skai

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score

I can say from experience that brined rabbit is superior to unbrined rabbit, same for turkey.
My experience has been the opposite.

arachyd

Reaction score
The brining helps pull the last of the blood from the meat and results in very nice, clean-looking white meat. I soak mine 3 days and the salt also keeps bacteria from growing.

Therese

Reaction score
Does someone have a recipe? I am interested! I have been adding a handful of Redmond agricultural salt to a 5 gal. bucket of cold water when I harvest. I put the carcasses in the bucket of salty water while I keep working. Maybe this is "brining"?

arachyd

Reaction score
I forgot to add that I change the salt water at least once every 24 hours. A handful of salt should be plenty for enough water to cover one rabbit.