Use of Fuzzy Netherlands/Fuzzy Hollands in Breeding Progams?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KKRabbitry

Reaction score
Recently a few bunny friends and us have been discussing the use of Fuzzy Netherlands to produce Jersey Woolies. (Actually this also applies to the use of Fuzzy Hollands to produce Fuzzy Lops) In case your not familiar, this is when two normally furred Netherland Dwarves (Or Holland Lops)throw a woolly kit. Do you think it's acceptable to use this kit to produce Jersey's or Fuzzy Lops? Obviously it could not be registered as a Jersey or a Fuzzy Lop, since it does not have a three generation pedigree of that breed.......but it could still be shown, used for breeding, and three generations later the kits could be registered as Jersey Woolies or Fuzzy Lops.
So what do you think? Have you ever used a Fuzzy Netherland/Holland to improve your Jersey Wooly of Fuzzy Lops? How did it work out?
Dying to know what every ones opinions are on this!

i know people do it to produce AFL's. some frown on it. it's a matter of personal choice right?

The jersey woolie is based more on the polish bodytype than the ND though so that might be a factor you wish to consider.

I have heard fuzzylop people say they won shows with fuzzy hollands entered as fuzzy lops.

Yep, I've seen fuzzy hollands do really well at shows too.
Good point about the polish body type........I guess it's something you would have to be carefull about. Fuzzy ND's might improve a few aspects, but not really do much for others.
Someone I know just got a really nice little Fuzzy ND. I think she might do really well at shows, since she looks totally like a Jersey Wooly with an awesome head and ears......They're planning to show her this fall so I'll have to keep on eye on her and see how she does.

Jersey Woolys are not polish body type.. they sit upright just like Nethies, although the Nethie headset is a little higher than a JW. Polish carry a meat-breed type body while the JW and nethie are more compact. Most of the time the wooly nethies and Hollands can be shown as Fuzzy's and JW's without notice..

then why do so many people compare them to polish? I find that very confusing. And I've been told by more than one person that polish were used in the making of them... I am confused.

Jersey's were made by crossing a Netherland Dwarf and a French Angora.
It seems to me like most of the top notch JWs are posed extremely similar to NDs.
Consider these two photos of a GC Netherland, and Jersey with 28 legs. (So obviously they're both great examples of their breed). They look nearly identical, at least in the pictures.

Attachments

• JW2.jpg
    JW2.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 2,090
  • ND.jpg
    ND.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 2,090
Well then. I've learned something new. Thank you. Therefore I'll say do whatever you think is best. :) if your fuzzy ND looks JW then use it however your heart desires. :)

I've learned something new too, just figured this all out in this past 24 hours:)
I guess I'll expriement with this a bit and see how it goes!

Here's the million -dollar question... Where did the nethie Fuzzy gene come from?? Was it always there and basically culled out in the past by breeders or did it actually get there from the JW? But I do know that orange JW's were originally developed off Orange Nethies AND orange Fuzzy nethies!! LOL Good luck !
Here is some interesting reading.. http://hautewoolycouture.blogspot.ca/
This is Susie's blog and there are awesome examples of both crosses in it!!

Back