URGENT Rabbit Skin Torn off

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kachow

Reaction score
Hi everyone- hoping to get help on here. This morning I saw that one of my rabbits had a large section maybe 2inchx1inch of skin and fur totally missing on on of his hind legs (outer thigh). It seems to be behaving normally but I don't want it to get infected and whatnot. For reference it looks similar to this (GRAPHIC) I'm talking I can literally see the muscle. Besides cleaning the wound with betadine and maybe putting some neosporin on it, what can I do here?

I have no idea what happened to the bun, they do stay outside but in very secure cages, and i've never had an issue like this in the 5+ years of owning rabbits. I will be doing my best to monitor the health of this rabbit along with any potential causes of the injury

oh, I wish I had an answer. can you pull the skin together at all and super glue it? of course, might be too late at this point to do that. in a young kit I'd keep the area moist and watch the amazing powers of bunny healing go to work. but an older rabbit? honestly, I"d be inclined to euthanize at the first sign of things going south.

oh, I wish I had an answer. can you pull the skin together at all and super glue it? of course, might be too late at this point to do that. in a young kit I'd keep the area moist and watch the amazing powers of bunny healing go to work. but an older rabbit? honestly, I"d be inclined to euthanize at the first sign of things going south.
I cleaned everything out as much as I could- The rabbit is quite young (maybe 6-9 months?). I did try a medical glue to help keep things together but the bun immediately tried to chew it off so i've resorted to cleaning it a few times a day and applying an antibacterial wound sealant gel in order to keep things clean. I have also administered a small dose of meloxicam to help with pain management and inflammation. So far the rabbit seems to not be too bothered by the opening and is behaving quite normally. Will update in a few days as I see the direction things are headed.

Back