URGENT!! Please help! Q for people in cold climates

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ek.blair

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So I just attempted to breed one of my bunnies this morning and she was being difficult and not lifting for the buck. After a little while of watching I noticed she had some blood on her rump. I checked both doe and buck and noticed that my buck has blood on the end of his penis. Is it possible that he toched it to the wire and pulled some tissue off of it? I didn't notice him scream in pain but I don't know what else could have happened... What should I do for him and how long before I should attempt to let him breed again? I am also toying with the idea of coming up with how to put some boards or something on the bottom of his cage so this can't happen again :(

I guess I should also state that it is about -2 here this morning (about 10 in the bunny barn) so the wire is COLD.

Very odd. :?

I suppose it is possible that he lost some tissue to freezing on the wire, but bucks in cold weather tend to draw their testicles up and I would think the penis would also be less in evidence. If you can see a wound, maybe put a little antibiotic ointment on it. I would not suggest trying to breed him until you are sure he is okay.

Yea I think it happened during breeding as I bred him to my other doe last night and all was fine and the blood was fresh. <br /><br /> -- Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:29 pm -- <br /><br /> Any ideas if it was maybe something else that caused him to bleed?

No, the doe didn't get to him... I was watching them and she never had access to his back end. I jus tent out to check on him and I saw a spot of the wire on the bottom of the cage that was more flesh looking than if it was a blood drop :( I flipped him to look at him again and when I tried to push him out it curls over really hard toward the injury so is hard to see. I will keep an eye on it and see what becomes of it. Hopefully he got the doe pregnant that i bred him to last night just I case he doesn't heal properly.

Sometimes I think the friction when they breed can cause broken blood vessels- was there a lot of blood or just a little. My lops penis looked like it was bleeding after he bred every time- but it was more like a blood blister- it looked like blood but when I dabbed it with a cotton ball there was no blood. (p.s. Blair Bunnny Project LOL!!!)

Latest posts

Back