URGENT! Help Me Keep This Kit From My Dead Buck Alive

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldEnglishSilvers88

Reaction score
My show Silver Fox buck who won several awards at the young age of 5 months, ended his life Saturday. :cry: :
He was only 7 months old! I bred him to two of my does before he was killed. I do not know yet if the one doe is pregnant or not ( please be ), the other doe had 6 kits. One was born premature on Thursday. The other five were born today. One was born dead, the other 2 got too cold, and the other one chocked on milk -- all dead. I am down to one kit, he's a buck ( yay! ) and appears to be black silvered (the only color you can show in the Silver Fox breed. Yay! ). I am holding on to all hope that this buck makes it. I have two other does due that they can foster him with, but they're not due until Tuesday. Mother did not take care of her first and second litter, so I am really afraid that he'll die with her.

How do I keep him alive? I know he can't replace my Moon Ultimatum, but he's the last thing I have of him. :cry:

Thank you.

either bring his nest box inside or move the nest into a box and put him on a heating pad. you can also give him a water bottle full of warm water wrapped in a towel too, but usually a decent heating pad set to medium is warm enough. they also make some specifically for animals that don't get too warm (so no real danger of burns,) and have a 'flap' that they can crawl under to be closer to the heating element, or away from it if they are warm. i had fairly good success with a singleton this way.

pick up ingredients for homer's baby bunny formula in this thread: updated-hand-feeding-formula-t27372.html. provided your does kindle and all goes well, you won't use all the ingredients, but goat's milk tastes good and you can make a pecan pie with the karo later. you'll need to feed it every 3 or 4 hours, since the formula isn't as rich as mom's milk and won't keep it as full as possible. but it should tide him over til a foster is available.

good luck! i hope he makes it!

I would try to do that except I would try assisted feeding before I hand fed any baby bunny. Assisted feeding will get your little guy moms milk, which is the very best for him. You can supervise it. If one baby chocked on milk then you know moms making it. No need to mess with formula. What I do is to put baby between my legs, then sit mom on my lap. If that doesn't work you can flip mom over, but they don't always like to stay that way so be aware that baby could go flying. Best of luck with this little guy!

ah, i guess i was under the impression mom wasn't in the picture since it was stated she wasn't a particularly good mother.

i would try shelving him before assisted feeding - where you bring the nest to the doe once a day to let her nurse. it's of course healthier for baby this way. i've never had luck even with assisted feeding even with my calmest does. they just don't relax enough to release the milk and the kits just root around from nipple to nipple seeming unsatisfied. i've had it work ONCE as i caught the doe right after she hopped out of her nest (i was trying to nurse a singleton on her,) and she still had milk in the bag. but i've never had it happen again.

I have had luck with it, but you do need to have mom be comfortable being held and with you as a person too. I could see how that would be rough.

I lost him tonight. I'm feeling quite depressed.

I am holding on to hope that my other doe is pregnant from the buck that died. Thank you for everyone that replied with their suggestions and advice. I appreciate it. I'll update this thread if my other doe has kits.

So sorry to hear hes gone, sending virtual hugs. Many of us have been in situations that are difficult. You are not alone, but I do hope you will feel better soon and that your other doe comes thru!

Latest posts

Back