update

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaR

Reaction score
Havent had much time to be on the computer lately, but I thought I would pop on here and give an update.

Not much news rabbit wise, sons NZW's are settling in well, the does have got over their shyness and run to the front of the cage to be petted. The buck is still a little more reserved, but he doesn't throw himself at the cage walls when you try and touch him anymore so definitely progress!

4H starts at the end of the month. We have a new county superintendent, not too happy with some of the changes he's making. Since our club is not a "revenue generating" club we are basically being pushed out of the building we have used for over 30 years. :( we get to use the building this year still but next year they want to move us to the center of the horse track under tents. We are not sure how that is going to work since our show day takes place during a horse race!! Now tell me how in the world is that going to work! Can you imagine young inexperienced dogs and handlers trying to do obedience with horses running around! Not to mention we would be stuck in the middle with no bathrooms or concession stands for hours! It sounds like we are going to have to change our show day which again has been on the same day for over 30 years.

Ethan had his 2 month check up today, he is doing great! He is now 14 pounds, double his birth weight! Dr. is still monitoring him carefully, but so far he is meeting all his developmental goals, so she doesn't think the lack of oxygen/heartbeat at birth is going to affect him. We will now better once he gets closer to school age but so far so good. :D

My gestational diabetes has gone away, and I am happy to say that I am still following the same diabetic diet and have lost 63 pounds so far! I cant wait until it gets warmer out so I can start walking again.

Attachments

• IMG_4179.JPG
    IMG_4179.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 384
Hi Jessica!

:welcomewagon:

Ethan is adorable! From the intelligent expression and awareness in his eyes, I would say that you don't have a thing to worry about. What a handsome little guy! :p

:congratulations: on losing 63 pounds! WOW!!! That is quite an accomplishment! :judges:

What a relief that the diabetes was just a temporary condition. :)

As for your son's buck- I have now brought in 3 outside Rex bucks, and have noticed that once you start bringing them does to *ahem* "service", their whole attitude toward you changes. :mrgreen: I bet you will notice that too, once he is actively being bred. ;)

Too bad about the horse races/dog show... I can't see that working out too well, unless the kids can practice working their dogs around horses prior to the event, but that still wouldn't accustom them to the excitement of the crowd. :?

Speaking of dogs, what do yours think of Ethan? Any of them have a special bond with him?

When my son Firstpup was born, we had a shepherd mix named Nevar who was very protective of him, but not aggressive about it in any way. If anyone but I held him, Nevar would sit nearby and watch them very carefully, whereas when I held him he laid relaxed beside me. It was really quite impressive, and I found it amazing that somehow Nevar knew that I was the primary caregiver of this new little human. :)

At the rare times when we actually put Firstpup down when he was sleeping :roll: Nevar would lay on the floor near him, and heaven forbid if I didn't come get Firstpup the moment he awoke. Crying babies were not allowed under Nevar's watch! :lol:

Glad to hear from you, and know that everything is going so well! Give the little guy a kiss for me!

My 2 male dogs pretty much ignore him except for an occasional sniff, the 2 girls though are more interested in him. Summer loves to lick his toes and Belle, who has had puppies before, will lay beside him and rest her head on his stomach, and when he cries she will come and check on him. Ethan really likes to look at Belle, I think its because she is black and white.

What an update! Important stuff first- congratulations! Both on your beautiful baby and your weight loss :)

Sorry about the 4H issues- hope they get worked out. Have you explained the issues to the boss as you explained them here?

Congrats on your beautiful baby!!!! I'm a little jealous about the weight loss. I'm on the sure and slow path over here. It's coming off, but of course I kind of took a break over the holidays and then extended it through my birthday which was this week. I'll get back on track next week. LOL (Been saying that for a month, but ya know.)

As far as the 4-h show day goes, I highly doubt they're going to want a bunch of dogs in the middle of a track during a horse race. That's a recipe for a kicked dog and spooked young horse for sure. Hopefully they'll work something else out, cause that's clearly not going to work.

Congratulations! :mbounce: I'm so glad everything went well, and the diabetes has straightened out. :)

I hope everything works out with 4H... that's nuts.

Latest posts

Back