Update On Rabbit Family

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitDad

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
We built a rabbit hotel in the barn & all but "Snack" moved in without issues. He's still in the house living the good life.
The little ones have been eating pellets & hay the past few days. I suspect they are still nursing too but I haven't watched them 24/7 to confirm that.
I've been considering a "bunny cam".
They only have about a 10' x 10' pen for now but they aren't using it. They all stay inside in a tiny herd.
They don't scatter when they see us anymore. Apparently they know we are their servants already.
I'm headed to town tomorrow so I'll stop by the vet for advice on birth control. They might be adorable but I don't want or need any more.

By and large, the only birth control for rabbits is separate caging. You may be lucky enough to find a vet that will castrate the boys though, but bear in mind they can still be fertile 4-6 weeks afterwards. Spaying a female is a more invasive procedure and consequently more expensive/risky.
Thanks. I'm not overly concerned about cost. It's a one time thing anyway. Especially considering it was my fault we are in this mess.
Caging 24/7 seems like unnecessary cruelty. While they all have hutches, they also have a "play area" to visit as they please. It provides a sense of freedom without exposure to predators.
Having said that... it's possible that a very determined buck could tunnel his way in somehow.
When I was younger, and if I were a rabbit, I certainly would have tried.

Thanks. I'm not overly concerned about cost. It's a one time thing anyway. Especially considering it was my fault we are in this mess.
It's risk as well, you'd have to find a vet that not only will do neutering, but is fairly competent and experienced. The more they do, the better they become. I'm lucky that here in the UK there are plenty of vets that will do and can do. I had three bucks castrated last week and they sailed through the op.

I had to take a day before I responded. The whole

Caging 24/7 seems like unnecessary cruelty.

You do know that caging rabbits isn't cruelty right? The HRS does an excellent job of making one think so, but consider the flipside of things. Rabbits in colony situations hurt each other, get hurt by predators, and are much more subject to illness.

Caging our rabbits provides them with safe places to hang out, keeps them safe (as long as their area is predator secure) from being eaten, allows mommas to kindle without dad being a pain in the butt, keeps babies safe from untoward exploring, allows for ease of care, socializing without danger, and more. Do they lack that freedom to run around madly and binky like crazy? Sure, but that isn't
unnecessary cruelty. Rabbits can still binky and run around their cages. They can still have toys to play with and other rabbits to socialize with. I have bucks that lie next to each other with wire separating them but put them nose to nose and a death battle would occur.

Try not to disparage what others do with not needful statements. Thank you.

I had to take a day before I responded. The whole

You do know that caging rabbits isn't cruelty right? The HRS does an excellent job of making one think so, but consider the flipside of things. Rabbits in colony situations hurt each other, get hurt by predators, and are much more subject to illness.

Caging our rabbits provides them with safe places to hang out, keeps them safe (as long as their area is predator secure) from being eaten, allows mommas to kindle without dad being a pain in the butt, keeps babies safe from untoward exploring, allows for ease of care, socializing without danger, and more. Do they lack that freedom to run around madly and binky like crazy? Sure, but that isn't
unnecessary cruelty. Rabbits can still binky and run around their cages. They can still have toys to play with and other rabbits to socialize with. I have bucks that lie next to each other with wire separating them but put them nose to nose and a death battle would occur.

Try not to disparage what others do with not needful statements. Thank you.
That was brilliant!
A perfect example of why it's absolutely necessary to share thoughts / ideas.

Latest posts

Back