Update on dirty doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessykah

Reaction score
You may remember me posting about a mixed NZ doe I have that had a nice litter and then continuously pee'd on them and they all died from that...... She was in a wire cage and always wanted to be in the nest box and used it as a litter box.... Some suggestions were to breed her again and foster out the kits...or take the nest box out and give to her twice daily.... Well I am only able to feed them once daily, as I do not live on the property where they are.... So I decided to put her in a stall by herself, kind of like a colony, but with no other buns to run around with. I put a really large nest box in one corner with plenty of straw. See my theory is that she just hated being on the wire, so she would just sit in the nest box. I had given her a resting pad, but she didn't use it.....
So she made a beautiful nest, a nice tunnel in the straw, and pulled a ton of fur... One live kit in the fur, and one dead kit outside of the nest box, far away on the floor. It was bloody. I am glad that she pulled a lot of fur, cause there isn't any other kits to snuggle up with. She kindled on day 33! (I don't think I have ever had a doe kindle that late before). That was last night. I didn't want to foster out that kit (to a doe who also just had 1 dead kit and 1 live kit), because I thought I would give her the satisfaction and reward of raising the kit and for doing a good job this time. She hasn't used the nest box for a litter box yet!....
So do you think that I will have to put her in the stall every time she is to kindle? Or do you think I should try her in the cage again after this success ( I am thinking not).... Or should I just cull her? She isn't really worth having around so far.
Anyways...yay...one beautiful healthy kit :D

Depends a lot on your available space and how many good does you have. I always have more candidates than places, so here she'd be culled... but if breeding stock is hard to come by where you are, you might want to give her one more chance, assuming she raises her current kit well.

I am having a hard time finding breeding stock that is close enough for me. Currently i only have 2 other meat does and one buck, those 2 does are due in 2 weeks. Maybe i will try her some more and then cull her before winter...hmmm....
....Ladysown, that's a good idea! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back