Update on blind doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Long time no see! I have a sweet little doe that was born fully blind in one way and partially in the other, I'm not sure how good her vision is on her good side as she's still two young to fully tell. My question is what caused this? and what am I getting myself into by keeping her? Is it worth keeping her or should I sell her to be meat (<< This meaning is she actually going to live a quality life or no?) The pic is of her worse eye, and I will say she was born this way, as soon as she started opening her eyes I could see the white over her eyes. I want her to live a good life however I can. I apologize for the awful quality, my phone camera is the worst.20067502_2011152952453606_953081057_n.jpg20134670_2011579572410944_1442640409_n.png

Why would you sell her for meat and not just cull her? As a meat rabbit buyer there's no way I'd buy a blind rabbit regardless of how the breeder said it happened. Blindness is a side effect of pasteurella and I wouldn't want tainted meat for my family or for the dog.

Tiny Buns":16tuwuei said:
Why would you sell her for meat and not just cull her? As a meat rabbit buyer there's no way I'd buy a blind rabbit regardless of how the breeder said it happened. Blindness is a side effect of pasteurella and I wouldn't want tainted meat for my family or for the dog.

I'm by no means a vet but in doing a simple search I have found other reasons other then the one you stated. Gentestional glaucoma being one, cataracts being another, even an unseen injury being another. Anything that can cause blindness in us can cause blindness in a baby bunny as well. Don't just assume only one reason can cause the blindness. Two of the reasons I suggested though can be genetic and as such if you decide to keep her she should not be allowed to breed. Pet only.

What Causes Blindness?
Causes of blindness include:
Trauma
Cataracts
Glaucoma
Tumor
Abscess
E. cuniculi
Picture
Cataract
Let's talk about a few of these in more detail:

Age: Similarly to humans, a rabbit's eyesight can deteriorate naturally due to aging.

Genetics: It is possible for a rabbit to be born blind or with some hereditary condition that affects their eyesight.

Cataracts: A cataract is an opaque film that forms on the lens of an eye. This film reduces the amount of light that passes through the lens, affecting the eye's ability to focus. As a cataract progresses, sharpness and contrast weaken and the rabbit's overall vision is affected. Cataracts primarily develop with age, but they can also be affected by diet, trauma, light exposure and e. cuniculi.

Glaucoma: Glaucoma is a condition of high pressure in the eye. Rabbits with glaucoma are unable to regulate the fluid in their eyes. They either overproduce fluid or are unable to drain it properly. The blockage creates too much pressure in the eye, which can cause damage to the retina- leading to blindness.

E. cuniculi: The encephalitozoon cuniculi parasite can sometimes cause cataracts. For more information on e. cuniculi, see our Head Tilt page.

Found here: http://www.disabledrabbits.com/blindness.html

Through process of elimination we can rule out age because it is a young bunny. Cataracts are a good culprit but they can be caused by other factors on this list. Genetics is a good suspect as is Glaucoma which goes hand in hand with it as does cataracts. There is also the possibility of the e.cuniculi parasite or even a simple injury while in the nest box. We will not know for sure unless op takes the babe to a vet and finds out.

But, without knowing why the rabbit is blind, and not being able to rule out disease, a food source sale is irresponsible.
Personally, I would cull a blind rabbit. The anxiety the rabbit would eternally feel, as a prey species, imo, would be cruel to force it to endure.

She's a really chill little bunny, never freaks out when picked up or petted. To be honest she's the calmest rabbit I've had in a while. I saw the white film over her eyes as she was opening them, so I hate to say it but I highly doubt injury is the cause... Genetics? What would cause it genetically? Gosh, I don't think I have the balls to cull this one to be honest, I think I'd keep her as a pet unless she was obviously suffering, I honestly doubt she'll make it past growout unless she can find the feed bowl, I'm going to see if I can find other people with blind rabbits and see what they say. I had no idea E.Cunnili could be a cause, wouldn't there be other symptoms though? And is this something I would get in future litters from the pairing?? Both of them are proven and this is the first time I've had this happen, I've bred the buck to this does mom and sister and didn't have any genetic defects other than a super runt from a litter of 11 out of a first time doe.

I've read about blind pet bunnies now and then, living a normal life, and growing up blind she doesn't know she's missing something. Wild rabbits spend much time underground anyway, and can't see wht's right in front of their nose, I doubt they depend on eyesight as much as we do. I don't think that she suffers when she finds a home and owner who likes a special bunny.

I would give it a shot to try to rehome her, keeping her as pet yourself would be a sign of rabbitosis, I got wary of keeping yet another sweet one :?

Wouldn't see something wrong with selling her for meat either, although many people do not like that there's obviously something wrong with their food, no matter that it's essentially irrelevant.

I kept a little blue doe from my singletons first litter (She had 11), and this blue doe has VM markings and a half blue eye, I LOVE her, she hates me, LOVES my boyfriend though >.< Today I walk out and he's cuddling her and I said SEE she does love you more! She's chose you not me! XD He goes "We can share her?" I said "Yeah right, how long did it take you to get her out of the cage" his response "No time at all" She runs from me every time I try to love her. As for the blind doe, I'm in no rush to sell her although if the right person comes along and I feel they could do better then me, I'll give her up. I just don't want her to go to someone who won't care for her properly. <br /><br /> -- July 24th, 2017, 4:41 pm -- <br /><br /> So the little blind doe died about three days ago, she was starting to do so well and have so few seizures I really thought she would make it.. I guess I got my hopes up a bit to high as she passed away overnight due to a very bad seizure. It was unfortunate, but I know now she's not suffering anymore.

KimitsuKouseki":g39xyy4l said:
That's sad, but maybe she's better this way, no more suffering

That's how I look at it, she would've never had much in the ways of quality of life, always on meds to help keep down her symptoms, I'm just glad I could provide a soft, warm bed for her to pass away on.

Latest posts

Back