Update from Southeast OK

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't posted on here much, lately. Mostly because I've learned so much from all of you I haven't needed too. :lol:

I still pop in almost everyday and read new posts.

Anyway, I got a bit of a slow start to the breeding season. I'm blaming the feed I was using. I did finally start to get litters toward end of November, which is about the same as last year but it was cooler this year so I had hoped it would be earlier. Now, however, I have kits galore!

I found a feed that I like, that is $3.50 a bag cheaper than the good feed I was buying and the rabbits seem to do well on it. I'm getting good breeding rates, litter size, and good grow out rates. I have to drive 45 min to get it but when I buy 12 bags a month that is a substantial savings. I bought a sam's club membership as well, so I just go to Sam's club (a bit over an hr) once a month and stock up on a few things and get the feed on the way back. :D

I found out my castor rex buck carriers Otter. That was a bit exciting because it was one of the color genes I wanted but didn't have. Unfortunately he does't carry chocolate or dilute so I'm going to have to mix things up a bit to get the lilac otter I want. :D

One of his daughters out of my magpie doe has reached 5lbs 8oz in just under 12 weeks. She was a full 8 oz heavier than her next largest littermate. Not super great weights compared to some, but good for my stock. I've been working on selecting for better grow rates so she's a keeper. She a chinchilla with Rex fur on top of that so *yaye!!* One of these days, I'm going to have to reduce the number of colors I have but it's sooo darn fun!

And just because, here are some kit pictures. These are all current litters.

My broken blue rex doe's litter. She kindled 12 but one was DOA. This litter will all be blue, lilac, tort (blue or lilac) or REW with or without broken.

IMG_20170305_132914 (Medium).jpg

These are 3/4 rex kits. She kindled 9 this time. This litter has so many color possibilities! Sire is lilac who carries non-extension and REW and the dam is broken chestnut and carries dilute, chocolate, chinchilla, and non-extension.
IMG_20170308_144408 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20170308_144559 (Medium).jpg

These are Non-pedigreed Rex. The sire is my lilac buck and the doe is harlequin. I have kept back a broken tort (blue or lilac) from my broken blue doe. I'm going to try crossing him to the dam of these kits and my magpie doe and see what I get. I have my fingers crossed for a broken magpie. :p I had a tri rex buck but unfortunately lost him last fall before I could get any pedigreed kits sired by him. This harlequin doe is one of his unpedigreed kits though.

Love the color on this tort kit!
IMG_20170308_162255 (Medium).jpg

And his littermate who is a harlequinized tort.

IMG_20170308_162212 (Medium).jpg

Looks like spring is well underway for you with all those popples! :D

All those colors in the nestboxes must be exciting... it’s always nice finding out you have something you didn’t think you did! And the harlequinized tort? How cool is that? I didn’t even know that was possible!
:p :lol:
Post updates on how they develop, please, I love seeing the little ones grow :popcorn:

Nymphadora":25ei4jph said:
Looks like spring is well underway for you with all those popples! :D

All those colors in the nestboxes must be exciting... it’s always nice finding out you have something you didn’t think you did! And the harlequinized tort? How cool is that? I didn’t even know that was possible!
:p :lol:
Post updates on how they develop, please, I love seeing the little ones grow :popcorn:

You really don't know what your getting yourself into :lol: I LOVE posting kit photos.

I actually have a theory that the modifiers for nice dark torts result in more heavily marked harlequins and tris' Of course I don't have anyway to test this theory unless this kit is a male and I can bred him back to his dam... I guess it will depend on how he (or she) turns out.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the broken chestnut's kits turn out. One of the fun parts of breeding rabbits for me is the colors. I know several of the kits are agouti I think I have at lest one chocolate agouti (or chocolate chin), and a lynx (or lilac chin), I just can't tell yet if they are chin or not. *taps foot impatiently*

Wow! Look at all those colors! :O I want a nest box like that. :(

Off topic.... I grew up in Talihina! :D Well, in the woods 30 minutes away from Talihina, but that area, lol. You never know, now when I go to visit my father down there I may end up swinging by and snagging a rabbit now that I know you're just like an hour away from his land. :lol:

alforddm":3ecevxsl said:
You really don't know what your getting yourself into :lol: I LOVE posting kit photos

Well seeing as I have exactly 0 rabbits right now... popple pictures is how I get my fix! ;)
So bring 'em on, all the pictures you can throw at me, I'm game! :mrgreen:

2CrazyFools":dittshit said:
Wow! Look at all those colors! :O I want a nest box like that. :(

Off topic.... I grew up in Talihina! :D Well, in the woods 30 minutes away from Talihina, but that area, lol. You never know, now when I go to visit my father down there I may end up swinging by and snagging a rabbit now that I know you're just like an hour away from his land. :lol:

Wow! It's a small world! We go to the Choctaw Nation Hospital in Talihina occasionally. The Hateful Hussy is one of my favorite places to eat! :lol:

The red nestbox? It's just a cat litter bucket I cut a hole in the lid. They work pretty good but you have to check the bedding frequently because it will get nasty quick. I much prefer the nestboxes that have wire bottoms and that I can line with cardboard. Plus they get hot quick, even though I drilled some holes for ventilation. They worked for a cheap fix (because Like I said I kinda bred too many does at once lol) but they are not something I'd use all the time. Especially when it starts getting warm.

alforddm":3776r642 said:
Wow! It's a small world! We go to the Choctaw Nation Hospital in Talihina occasionally. The Hateful Hussy is one of my favorite places to eat! :lol:

Personally I liked Kiamichi Kitchen until it burned down! I think they put addictive drugs in their vanilla ice cream because it was just SOOOO good....

It really is such a small world, my mother in law from TEXAS went to a teacher's convention thingy in OKC and in that big crowd of people started talking to the woman next to her. Turns out the woman was my old high school councilor from Talihina! :shock: I mean what are the chances of that? Really makes you think though, be kind to everyone because you never know when you'll see them again...

Your tort kits are just gorgeous! I'm right there with Nymphadora, I can't wait to see more pictures as they get bigger!

Which one was the Kiamichi Kitchen? I don't think I remember that one. It may have burned before we moved back into the area though. We've only been back for 5 years or so. Before that we lived in Stillwater and North of Fort Smith.

It burned down sometime in the summer of 2009, so yeah it may have been gone before you guys ended up down that way.

253Kiamichi_Inn.jpg

I just told my husband that someone lives down that way with Rex rabbits and he goes, "Oh! Can we trade offspring??" and I just look at him and go, "James, we don't have Rex rabbits..." :lol: But he was interesting in the possibility of purchasing from you in the distant future when we head down that way again to visit my dad.

2CrazyFools":2p0k5yaj said:
It burned down sometime in the summer of 2009, so yeah it may have been gone before you guys ended up down that way.

I just told my husband that someone lives down that way with Rex rabbits and he goes, "Oh! Can we trade offspring??" and I just look at him and go, "James, we don't have Rex rabbits..." :lol: But he was interesting in the possibility of purchasing from you in the distant future when we head down that way again to visit my dad.

Yep, we moved back in 2012.

That sounds great! I'd love to meet you anyway. I may even be interested in some of your curly coated Texas A&M stock if you decide to breed Jeri (hint hint you need to breed her back to her sire :lol:).

alforddm":12ytsjvi said:
That sounds great! I'd love to meet you anyway. I may even be interested in some of your curly coated Texas A&M stock if you decide to breed Jeri (hint hint you need to breed her back to her sire :lol:).

We are planning on breeding her back to her pops, I already wore down my husband, lol. It's hard to resist my big blue eyes :lovers: I'm just so curious to see what will come of that breeding!

Here is an update on the broken chestnut does 3/4 rex litter. They are now 5 days old.

I "think" I have a rex coated beige (chocolate chin), a lilac tort, a broken chocolate, a lynx, a regular coated chocolate agouti (amber), a couple of the brokens I can't decide if they will be chin or chestnut, a solid chestnut or chin (again can't decide) and one tiny runt that is either lynx or lilac chin. I've tried giving extra feedings even off a different doe but it's just not working very well. I think this afternoon, I'm going to take most of the largest kits out and see if I can get her to feed him in the nestbox.

17265201_1804247393232478_7283138349888489806_n.jpg

17202967_1804247156565835_2720239545252202003_n.jpg

17264938_1804247166565834_6822735217060929691_n.jpg

17309188_1804247193232498_5789205431548747272_n.jpg

17103432_1804247263232491_8413327867080035465_n.jpg

17264181_1804247313232486_715139826627699265_n.jpg

17309529_1804247343232483_3398643824805570782_n.jpg

17264511_1804247366565814_3195486451889409057_n.jpg

What little darlings you have (and such a variety of colors)! :oops:

Thank you for the update, I hope the runt starts catching up soon!

Here's an update on the little guys (and gals). I did end up loosing the runt yesterday. I thought he was doing ok but then we had a stray dog messing around night before last and I think the poor stressed doe peed in the box. Anyway the others were ok but I guess the little guy didn't have enough reserves. I hope I took care of the dog today. Caught it trying to break into my chicken coop. Something got my favorite rooster yesterday in broad daylight. He was a huge light brahman so I don't think it was a hawk because he was carried clean away. I kept the chickens up most of the day thinking whatever it was might return and sure enough.

Here are the little guys today.

The final color counted ended up being 2 broken chin (1 with rex fur), 1 amber with rex fur, 1 chocolate chin (not rexed), 1 lynx with rex fur (yaye!), 1 chestnut with rex fur, 1 broken chocolate with rex, 1 lilac or blue tort not rexed.

Attachments

• IMG_20170315_171712 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20170315_171712 (Medium).jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 1,736
Back