Two intact males in the house

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sireenica

Reaction score
So I have one intact male angora who is really a very chill dude, he's just over a year. He has excellent litter habits as well. I personally see neutering as an elective procedure if there are no behavior issues.
I do not free roam him, he lives in a pen and is let out to explore as my schedule allows.

HOWEVER

I would love to get another and was recently offered a retired 3 yr old intact male. If I took him, he too would be indoors.

Questions:
What are the odds of my current bunny starting to spray?
Would it be better to house them on different levels of the house?
Will I need to wash my hands between handling them?

I can deal with initial training and settling, but don't want urine to be shooting everywhere forever.
I know angoras are known for being social, chill, and easy to handle. I will fix the retired one if I must but would rather not drop $300+ on a procedure that could just as easily kill. I hear so many stories of even vets that specialize in rabbit losing them.

I supposed I could invest in a ton of coroplast and proof everything. I really want this guy, but dont want to rush in unprepared. I have a spare dog crate and other rabbit supplies, as well as angora grooming tools

There might be some territorial spraying at first but then once they get use to each other's scent it should stop

I've never had issues with spraying or fighting with older bucks and male kits, who are growing out to adults, penned next to them

My males do not spray when around each other. They do however like to spray when the females are around.

I've been debating on answering this, hoping someone else might have the answer you were looking for...

When I had my first two house rabbits, both were unaltered males. I had a Holland lop, my avatar, and an English lop cross. They were kept separated, but on the same level in different room, Percy was in my bedroom while Tristan was in the living room.

They were both sweet rabbits, Tristan having a bit of cage aggression when it came time to get his food bowl, but other than that they were two golden boys. Never had any spraying, both were moderately litter box trained (bunny berries tended to escape), and both had plenty of toys to ward off destructive tendencies towards the actual house.

I don't know if I was lucky, but I know that I didn't even think about the fact that they might smell each other and act differently before I brought Tristan home. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:02 am __________ <br /><br />
Sireenica":3ntda7nr said:
Questions:
What are the odds of my current bunny starting to spray?
Would it be better to house them on different levels of the house?
Will I need to wash my hands between handling them?

So in my experience, low odds, doesn't seem to matter, and no, it doesn't seem like they cared if I smelled like another male rabbit.

Excellent! I have decided to go for it. I am picking him up Saturday. For the time being he will be in a dog crate with litterbox till I get to know him. Once I gauge his potty habits and personality I will go for a pen or a real cage. I expect some trouble at first, maybe even potty habits on both ends going out the window, but if the likely hood of that just being temporary is fine.

Honestly since the new dude has been housed next to other males and hasnt sprayed I any trouble I expect to come from the current reigning king of the house. I might just confine him to his pen for the first week to let him get used to the new guys scent. Then let him loose, then start alternating who's out each day

Latest posts

Back