tunnel tutorial....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owlsfriend

Reaction score
Okay, this is not a tutorial, but I like alliteration.

I've been experimenting with various tunnel devices.... with the following results.....
1) Cardboard concreted forms--cheap, buy at Lowes, Menards, or lumber yard. Come in several diameters. Rabbits love to pull spirals of cardboard from inside tube, eventually making the tube collapse...also, soaks up urine.....

2) Flexible metal duct....slightly more expensive, 4 and 6 inch diameters, makes noise as the rabbit tunnels through, can be curved to make interesting shapes....easily dented (and thereafter will not bend in the dented section.) Caution--end can be very sharp, cover with tape or split air hose....

3)free carpet tubes--very long, very thick, limited diameters. Still works with dwarf breeds. You just have to talk nice to someone at a flooring store and they'll let you take all you can carry. I take a hacksaw to cut long tubes in half, so they fit in my pick-up truck....

4) Drainage material, made of black plastic. Small diameter is flexible, larger diameter is more rigid. Huge diameter is double walled and crazy expensive, unless you have a younger brother in construction and he can collect pieces of scrap. This can be incredibly sturdy--even made a good dog toy for my insane chewer.....

if you can think of any other options I'd LOVE to give them a try...

My favorite thing is when a black bunny hops into the tunnel and a brown bunny hops out......so Three Stooges, but I laugh every time.<br /><br />__________ Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:35 am __________<br /><br />Oh yeah, I've been putting plastic step stools over the ends of the tunnels as sort of Junction Boxes, so the rabbit can change directions

if you want to do a bit of construction. Make a triangular tunnel out of wood. You can find some L shaped brackets, for where it meets, where all you will have to do, it use a screw on each end of each bracket. So,
3 longish pieces of wood
6 brackets -> 3 for each end
screws for the brackets.
You can make the tunnels as large and as long, as you like.

Piper,

an A-frame tunnel like that would be great for wire floored cages- the open side would be the bottom, allowing waste to fall through. :p

Latest posts

Back