TSC Cages - downhill

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie570

Reaction score
It looks like TSC has switched from the decent Advantek cages to crappy Dumor cages.

I ordered a set of them because I need one more stack and the Advantek, while still listed on the TSC website, are no longer available to order (so if you have them in your local TSC, snap them up while you can).

The Dumor cages are lighter weight, not as tall and while they use a metal clip system, it seems pretty flimsy. Even more worrisome, and I'm not sure if this is actually something to be concerned with or not, the boxes have 'warnings' on them that the products contain lead and shouldn't be 'chewed' on. :shock: Um yeah... I'll be sure to pass that information along to my rabbits. I would have to guess it's in the paint? This concerns me. I know that my buck at the very least, likes to chew on the bars of his door (because he wants out).

I'm not pleased with this situation and I guess I may have to switch to building my own cages after all, IF I get any more cages.

I may just take these two back and build one more cage and set up another stacking system on my own. I don't trust these lead-paint, flimsy cages. Boooo, TSC!!! :/

And just to help Google Search, I'm talking about Tractor Supply Company, Dumor cages. :p

Zinnia":233m7we1 said:
Our TSC has the Dumor cages now, too. Boo :down: from me, too. So, how's that pronounced... Dumor? :shock:

I think it's supposed to be 'do-more', but how about 'dumber'? :p

TSC here has only ever had the Dumor cages, which is why so many people say never buy TSC cages. Never knew they had any other. (thumbing the catalog)

You can get Advantek cages on walmart's website and the shipping is free. However, you can get the same size cages from Bass Equipment for about the same price, even with the shipping, and the quality is going to be better.

Pepperoni":3mqdiusg said:
You can get Advantek cages on walmart's website and the shipping is free. However, you can get the same size cages from Bass Equipment for about the same price, even with the shipping, and the quality is going to be better.

Just checked the Wal-Mart site.

Not only do I hate to support Wal-Mart, but the cages are about $20 more expensive than they were at TSC. :p

Bass cage (30x36) costs a little over $100 per cage, not including the wheels (those run $35 per stack, but not sure if I could just modify and use the cheap wheels I've been using on the other cages or not). That's more than $30 over the cost per cage that I was paying before. :p

I'm sure they're nice cages and all, but I can't see how they could be THAT much better.

I'd have to have a look at the Advantek cages, but the ones I've bought from cage suppliers like Bass are heavier wire than anything I've seen in a retail store. Well except for those Midwest Rabbitat cages, the wire there is almost as thick as Midwest dog cages.

I know exactly what you mean Suzie570. I was walking through a new Tractor Supply Company store a few weeks before I bought my rabbits. Saw the Advantek cages (in the box... Could only see the photo on the box, not the actual cage.) and thought they looked pretty good.

Anyway, I bought two cages, one each of two different sizes. Got the boxes home, started assembling the cages and discovered one was Advantek, the other was Dumor. BIG difference!

I just decided to take both cages back for a refund and ended up buying knocked-down cages from a fellow who makes them to order in Emporia, Kansas. Picked them up from him at a rabbit show in Wichita. MUCH better quality. MUCH heavier wire.

I like TSC but I wouldn't buy their rabbit cages.

Randy

funnies50":3m4jvv6y said:
How much do cages cost?? Thinking about getting one ;)

About the cheapest you can find is $70 for the whole setup (maybe a little less for the smaller cages) and they just go up from there. :/

Latest posts

Back