Trying to learn to sex newborns - PICS

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashakaran

Reaction score
So I've weighed my popples today! (Day 2 of their existence) And average weight gain is about 18.7%. WOW. I'm a science-data junkie, so my notes and calculations are ridiculously over the top. You should see my reproductive management excel... ;)

BUT what I'm working on now, is learning to understand the visual difference in sex between newborns. I know some here are pros at this, so maybe I can recruit your help?

Here, below, are my 8 buns and my guesses... by now I see them all as does! :shock:

1: Doe
1acrop.jpg

2: Buck
2acrop.jpg

3: Doe
3acrop.jpg

4: Doe
4acrop.jpg

5: Buck
5acrop.jpg

6: Doe
6acrop.jpg

7: Doe
7acrop.jpg

8: Doe
8acrop.jpg

Thanks a BAZILLION in advance guys :D

1 buck
2 buck
3 doe
4 doe
5 doe
6 buck
7 doe
8 buck

that's my guess. I wasn't sure about a few of the does.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:41 pm __________<br /><br />
jessie15273":2tp5um2o said:
Buck, Buck, Buck, Doe.

Buck buck doe... the new farm child's game that has replaced duck duck goose. LOL

My Sistah OneAcreFarm (OAF) is really good at this...

but I'll give it a go. :)

Doe, doe, doe, buck, buck, buck, doe, doe.

ollitos":1hck2snk said:
Buck buck doe... the new farm child's game that has replaced duck duck goose. LOL

:rotfl:

....rabbit...rabbit...rabbit....rabbit....guinea pig...rabbit....rabbit

Those are my guesses and I'm sticking to it!

Seriously though, I can't tell what they are until they are at least 5 weeks.

and based on pics I came up with buck, doe, doe?, doe, doe, buck?, doe?, doe

? because pics aren't head on or was fuzzy.

So keep sexing them and in time you'll figure out when you got it nailed.

I can only do it perfectly when their parts are pushed down a little.. I can tell by the feel, mostly, and where the hole moves/doesn't move. Some of my bucks are pretty close to the bum.. while others are not. Here are my guesses anyway.

buck, doe, doe, buck, doe, buck, doe, doe.

ollitos":38xs110a said:

:clap: definitely what I'm gonna teach my kids to play!

Thanks so much for the help!! I keep looking at em everyday, and writing notes on what I think it is, so at some point I should know :p

siddsaysgimmie":38xs110a said:
I can only do it perfectly when their parts are pushed down a little.. I can tell by the feel, mostly, and where the hole moves/doesn't move.

Can you explain this a bit more? What's the feeling difference between a buck/doe?

Edited to do my quotes right..

You push down like you would when trying to sex an older rabbit (but much more gentle). If you push down on the top of a doe's area, you will feel more resistance/tightness (?) from the bottom, near the anus. The skin will pull back, but the slit will not move. Usually you can see the slit more clearly as well. With a buck, the dot will usually go up a bit/move. You will feel resistance from around the middle of the area. You can see the dot more clearly.

Sorry, it's very hard to explain. I took a video a while back but I wouldn't know how to post it.

That is really interesting siddsaysgimmie-- I think I noticed a bit of that today while I was weighing/sexing. They've all got open eyes now!! :D

Back