Treating Wood Naturally

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starmint

Reaction score
Hello, just made a ramp for my rabbit out of some untreated wood. If he gets any pee on it though, it'll be ruined correct?

Since that's the case, can I treat it with a natural solution? Internet says "canola oil (3 parts) and vinegar (1 part) makes a dandy wood sealant," https://www.onegreenplanet.org/lifestyle/natural-ways-to-protect-wood-from-water-damage/

But I don't want that to make the wood more yummy to the rabbit (besides the fact they don't like vinegar).

Thanks!

Although peeing on the wood won't necessarily ruin it,
treating the wood with a"nontoxic" sealant is a good idea.
I have no idea if the rabbits will find the combination of vinegar and canola yummy, ...or not...
In my experience, rabbits chew wood a lot more when they are short of long stem fiber. [or hungry]
Providing grass hay, cornstalks, or willow branches,[or some other safe ,woody plant] satisfies this need.
Occasionally,.. I have had rabbits chew "pressure treated" wood,
when I added a salt spool for them , this stopped.

Hi,

Welcome :)

No, pee on it doesn't ruin wood, it will still last decades if it dries up. The untreated hutch floors of my old solid floor wood hutches are still ok after 8 years (random recycled pallet wood)

Now I use a mix of sunflower seed oil (cheap) and linseed oil (hardens better) to impregnate wood that needs to be weatherproof, or for the hutch floor grate. Right, that's yummy. There was some nibbling. Now I paint the grates with diluted rabbit urine, and rinse it off, enough smell, only noticeable to the rabbits, stays on so that they don't like it. Can't tell about the vingar, need to try this, somewhat less yucky :D

Preitler":20qttcf5 said:
Hi,

Welcome :)

No, pee on it doesn't ruin wood, it will still last decades if it dries up. The untreated hutch floors of my old solid floor wood hutches are still ok after 8 years (random recycled pallet wood)

Now I use a mix of sunflower seed oil (cheap) and linseed oil (hardens better) to impregnate wood that needs to be weatherproof, or for the hutch floor grate. Right, that's yummy. There was some nibbling. Now I paint the grates with diluted rabbit urine, and rinse it off, enough smell, only noticeable to the rabbits, stays on so that they don't like it. Can't tell about the vingar, need to try this, somewhat less yucky :D

Thanks so much for your reply, let me know if it works for you! That website listed quite a few natural solutions inc. lemon and oil (which I thought would definitely be more tasty! :D )

-- Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:51 am --

michaels4gardens":20qttcf5 said:
Although peeing on the wood won't necessarily ruin it,
treating the wood with a"nontoxic" sealant is a good idea.
I have no idea if the rabbits will find the combination of vinegar and canola yummy, ...or not...
In my experience, rabbits chew wood a lot more when they are short of long stem fiber. [or hungry]
Providing grass hay, cornstalks, or willow branches,[or some other safe ,woody plant] satisfies this need.
Occasionally,.. I have had rabbits chew "pressure treated" wood,
when I added a salt spool for them , this stopped.

Thanks for clearing that up, I thought I read somewhere it ruined it so I was worried about replacing it :( but that's great news! And that's a good point that chewing should be minimal with enough alternatives provided. Thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back