Treating for worms?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamsFamilyFarm

Reaction score
I had someone come look at our stock to help us get ready for a show. It will be our first show so we need all the help we can get. She mentioned that they might have worms. How do you treat them and can you treat while pregnant?

Rabbits can have worms, but it's not all that common. Did this person say why she thinks they may have them or is she someone who simply worms rabbits routinely. (IMO, routine medication of rabbits is not a good idea.)

I feed my rabbits pumpkin seed every fall/winter. We grow our own mainly for the rabbits and the seeds are an excellent safe food that will also kill internal parasites. What a good deal! You can buy pumpkin seeds at a health food or bulk food store (get raw ones if you can, in or out of the shell) and sometimes you can find them at feed stores, sold as squirrel food. That would likely be your cheapest source. Start with just a few and work up until you are feeding a small handful (a couple of tablespoons). Continue for a couple of weeks and your buns should be cleared out of anything that might have been there.

Oh, just a reminder to NEVER feed seed intended for planting as most of them are treated with a fungicide that might be harmful to the rabbits.

She said she thought one of them had worms. She suggested Ivermectin, but not until I have weened the kits. She isn't due until around Valentine's day. Would the seeds be ok even if she is pregnant?

I found some raw pumpkins seeds at the grocery store. How many do I need to give them? Should I treat the whole herd, or just the ones we suspect? Also, how young can they have them? I have 2-11 week olds and 8-3week olds. Can they have them too?

AdamsFamilyFarm":3fbisakt said:
I found some raw pumpkins seeds at the grocery store. How many do I need to give them? Should I treat the whole herd, or just the ones we suspect? Also, how young can they have them? I have 2-11 week olds and 8-3week olds. Can they have them too?

Are your rabbits accustomed to feed other than pellets? If not, you will want to phase in the pumpkin seeds. They are excellent feed, high in nutrients and very safe, but sudden changes in a rabbit's diet are never good. And this goes double for youngsters.

My kits have full access to momma's food from the moment they tumble out of the nest box. Because at that stage they are mainly interested in momma's milk, they get a long slow transition to a variety of solid foods, including lots of grass hay. When rabbits have access only to pellets, they may tend to pig out if given sudden large amounts of a new tasty food. So going slowly is always safest.

I'd start with the rabbits that you suspect may have worms. If they take to them well you may want to include pumpkin seeds in the other rabbits' diet as well. As for quantity... as I said before, start with just a few and gradually work up to a small handful (a couple of tablespoons) per rabbit per day. I'd continue this for at least two weeks, longer would be better in order to ensure that you fully break the cycle.

Ok. Thanks! They do get limited pellets daily, oats with sunflower seeds several times a week, and free grass hay as long as the kids remember to give it to them. I usually go out a couple of times a day to make sure they still have hay. I'll add the seeds and see if it helps.

Back